Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using vista and linux on one system

Beans

Re: Using vista and linux on one system

well it seems odd that there is no disc, but if you have some kind of restore drive than maybe you can access it from your bios or something?

Beans

I take that back. I do have a disc. I have no idea what that recovery drive is for then. So, what is the procedure here? will it simply ask me if I want to format when I insert the disc?

Beans

when you boot from your disc youll get to a point where it asks you where to install windows, it may tell you that it will automatically format your whole drive if doesnt see any ntfs, which it wont. if you dont care to get rid of ubuntu, i would just delete all of your partitions from the windows partition editor and then install vista on the whole drive. if you want to try ubuntu again (and i hope you do) it is easier to install it after windows rather than to install ubuntu and then windows.

Beans

I really do want to try Ubuntu again. From the short introduction that I've had, I've really come to appreciate the operating system. I'm just realizing that to fully utilize the system's capabilities I'm going to need to buy a book. The old click and see what happens method that I grew up using to learn how to operate Vista just doesn't seem to work any longer.

So you recommend I trash Linux for now and try reinstalling it again after Vista is operational? I think I'll be back on this page within the next few days for complete instructions about how to partition my drive so I don't need to go through this ordeal again.

Beans

Holy crap
    I now hate Ubuntu.. I'm guessing I'll get the same result. Where abouts do I put in that command?
    So I'm guessing if Windows is deleted, there's no way of using it's System Restore?
    I'll be losing so much.. There's NO way of recovering my documents/programs??
    Goddammit.. Who wouldn't to delete Windows and only use Linux

Beans

i would definitely wipe the drive and start all over with windows first. when you are ready it only takes like 10 minutes to install ubuntu so its not that big of a deal!

Beans

Since everything is back up, I would do the following:
    1) If you can get Partition Magic, use it partition your hard disk out as follows (If not use Knoppix or simuliar. The goal is to lay out your partitions first then install the OS'es):
    100GB NTFS for Windows
    54GB Linux for Ububntu
    6GB for Linux Swap
    It looks like you have an 6GB Partition for Swap. I would make the swap file 2x your installed RAM.

Install Vista first. Then install Ubuntu.

Vista does mark partitions with its own header information. You might google Vista and Linux to see what all the steps are, as well as anything you need to get these two OS'es to coexist. I finally dedicated one machine to Vista and the other to Linux.

I did have Vista and Ubuntu Studio running at one time on the same computer, but not any longer... so I know it's doable.

-JJ

Beans

Can someone tell me where I went wrong?
    I still don't see where I screwed up, causing Windows to be erased..
    All I did was follow the instructions on the CD, and it never said anything about erasing my current OS

EDIT: These were my results

mario-182@himynameismario:~$ sudo fdisk -1
    [sudo] password for mario-182:
    fdisk: invalid option -- 1

Usage: fdisk [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK Change partition table
    fdisk -l [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK List partition table(s)
    fdisk -s PARTITION Give partition size(s) in blocks
    fdisk -v Give fdisk version
    Here DISK is something like /dev/hdb or /dev/sda
    and PARTITION is something like /dev/hda7
    -u: give Start and End in sector (instead of cylinder) units
    -b 2048: (for certain MO disks) use 2048-byte sectors
    Last edited by mario-182; May 16th, 2008 at 06:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by mario-182 View Post
    These were my results
    [i]mario-182@himynameismario:~$ sudo fdisk -1
    [sudo] password for mario-182:
    fdisk: invalid option -- 1
    The 'l' in 'sudo fdisk -l' is a lowercase L (for Linux), not the numeral 'one'.
    Be careful with sudo! The most damage you can do when not root is destroy your life's work, which should be reconstructable in mere decades; wheras running as root you could damage Ubuntu itself, requiring a reinstall which takes up to half an hour!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SEMW View Post
    The 'l' in 'sudo fdisk -l' is a lowercase L (for Linux), not the numeral 'one'.
    My bad:
    Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xdffc408c

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 18701 150215751 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 18702 19457 6072570 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 18702 19457 6072538+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

So I'm guessing there's no Vista.. Does this also mean I have wiped my documents, programs, etc.?
    A quick answer would help, so I can move on and format my laptop
    Thanks
    Last edited by mario-182; May 16th, 2008 at 06:33 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast