Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using vista and linux on one system

Beans

Using vista and linux on one system

So the other day I decided to install linux. I partitioned my drive to allow myself to install Linux as an operating system alongside Vista. As I understood, during the installation of Linux (I might mention that I have installed Ubuntu) I would be given an option to set up some sort of a dual boot, where I would receive an option about which operating system I would like to use when I start my computer. This never happened. At this point, I am simply frustrated and want to be able to use Vista. I am really unconcerned about the fate of my Linux operating system. Thus, I am open to any suggestions at this point; how can I use Vista? Thank you in advance for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Using vista and linux on one system

If your install was succesful you should have a grub boot menu when you start up the pc. It should give you an option to start windows. During the install Ubuntu should have told you it detected windows and thus it would be an option in the boot menu.

Can you boot into Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

did you install Ubuntu on the entire hard drive ?

Can you post the output of :

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ~Nightingale~ View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, FAIL!!! Thats what you get for using windows
    necessary? if you read his post this is what he got for wanting to try out linux.

to the op, when you installed linux and it was asking where to install did you choose the partition you set aside for ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by ~Nightingale~ View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, FAIL!!! Thats what you get for using windows
    How rude
    If you're not paranoid, you're not paying enough attention

Beans

Awesome, lots of responses. I guess I wasn't too clear earlier. I partitioned 15% of my hard drive for Linux and left the the rest reserved for windows. That was my first choice pertaining to partitioning-related activities. However, I was later asked which partitions I would like to reserve for different functions. I was not quite sure what I was doing here, and I believe this might be where I messed up. In the end, I looked online and copied a similar layout to someone else's.

I am currently using said computer we are talking about; however thankfully, I do have others. I am able to use Linux perfectly. I actually like the operating system; I just need a book or something to demystify its nuances. When I start my computer, somewhere a Grub program is mentioned, but it never gives me the choice of which operating system I would like to log into. Is there a key that I need to press at a certain point? So, anyways, what are my options looking like? As I understand, this isn't the simplest process in the world.

nick@nick-laptop:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xd0000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 18701 150215751 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 18702 19457 6072570 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 18702 19457 6072538+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

I don't see windows in there. This is scaring me... Thank God I backed up my entire hard drive
    Last edited by zoner1; May 16th, 2008 at 03:49 AM.

Beans

Hey everyone. I have the same problem as this guy. The first time I tired installing Ubuntu, I remember choosing about 50% of my harddrive to be partitioned. That didn't work because it froze at 15% of the installing system process. So the second time I installed it, I accidentally left the 'automatic' option ticked (not the manual one), so now when I boot my laptop, the GRUB loader doesn't have the Windows option..
    I'm really worried and want to know if there's a way to find out whether my Vista partition is still there, and whether I can somehow access it..
    Thanks
    Mario

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zoner1 View Post
    nick@nick-laptop:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xd0000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 18701 150215751 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 18702 19457 6072570 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 18702 19457 6072538+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

I don't see windows in there. This is scaring me... Thank God I backed up my entire hard drive
    there is no windows partition in there man, it would show up as HPFS/NTFS under system it is a good thing you backed up your files...... sorry.

@mario-182 post the result of the same command and we can see about yours, but i'm gueesing your probably in the same boat.

oh yeah @nightingale your a douchebag
    Last edited by badfish591; May 16th, 2008 at 04:28 AM.

Beans

So now that I know I deleted windows, what should I do to go about restoring it. I ask because windows came installed on my computer. I do not believe a disc was included. There is a recovery drive that is used when the computer is formatted to restore windows and the computers original settings. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to access this from Linux. Any thoughts about what to do?
    Last edited by zoner1; May 16th, 2008 at 04:55 AM.

Beans

i dont know if you can recover a whole installation from the recovery partition. i dont even see the recovery partition in your fdisk output. you may try asking around to see if any of your friends have a vista disk you could borrow and then use your activation key when asked for it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast