Thread: Firefox prevents sound?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Firefox prevents sound?

I'm watching videos in VLC and doing things in Firefox. But after a while, the sound in VLC will cut out. Firefox doesn't even play any sound regardless. I'm not sure what's causing it, but I think it's Firefox, because as long as I don't run Firefox, the sound never cuts out. Furthermore, when the sound does cut out, Firefox crashes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Firefox prevents sound?

Are you using Hardy and Firefox 3 Beta 5? If so, pay attention to the page Firefox is on, especially with regards to Flash content. There seems to be problems with the combination of Firefox 3, Flash and the new audio in Hardy, Pulse Audio.

If the page does have Flash content, be patient, I've been waiting for a fix on that one since Hardy came out, imo a very serious problem but unfortunately a little slow on the resolution side.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by LeBurt View Post
    Are you using Hardy and Firefox 3 Beta 5? If so, pay attention to the page Firefox is on, especially with regards to Flash content. There seems to be problems with the combination of Firefox 3, Flash and the new audio in Hardy, Pulse Audio.

If the page does have Flash content, be patient, I've been waiting for a fix on that one since Hardy came out, imo a very serious problem but unfortunately a little slow on the resolution side.
    Ah, I thought Flash was the cause, but I didn't want to jump to a conclusion like that, since VLC doesn't use Flash. But thank you.

BTW, I have FF2 and FF3b5, and both did the same thing. It must be Hardy, not necessarily Firefox.

I'll just have to wait...

Beans

I have similar problems, but its not restricted to FF, Opera cuases the sound issues too. Its due to flash i'm quite sure of it. Usually if i kill FF or Opera the sound will come back, but sometimes i have to restart gnome for it to happen.

I'm gonna try the beta flash player, but not optimistic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Had this same problem myself, could be on any page regardless of flash and if FF was up nothing else would play sound. That plus many many other problems (FF hates me regardless of 1,2 or 3 and regardless of OS) so I switched to epiphany
    Windows vs. Linux, what you mean there's a doubt?