Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu firewall and Firestarter?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu firewall and Firestarter?

Quote Originally Posted by tebbens View Post
    I always leave the front door to my house wide open...my car also. I have very little to steal, besides, what are the chances someone would come snooping around ???
    What you describe here: That's Windows! And Microsoft put this miserable little fence in front of the open door and they call it "Firewall".

On Ubuntu there isn't even a door (= no open ports!) "out of the box" in the first place.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scorp123 View Post
    What you describe here: That's Windows! And Microsoft put this miserable little fence in front of the open door and they call it "Firewall".

On Ubuntu there isn't even a door (= no open ports!) "out of the box" in the first place.
    I still think a firewall should be setup by default.
    Any user (novice or expert) could easily install something
    that opens up a port/ports, without knowing or even be notified
    that a Firewall is not in place.

Atleast ask during the install...
    Do you want the firewall turned on ??
    Last edited by tebbens; June 1st, 2008 at 04:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by tebbens View Post
    At least ask during the install...
    Do you want the firewall turned on ??
    Yes, I'd agree to that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

firewall is always turned on... except if you remove iptables from the kernel (is that possible?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just to clarify some misconceptions that the default stance of the iptables is not DROP!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    firewall is always turned on... except if you remove iptables from the kernel (is that possible?)
    After a new install the Ubuntu firewall is installed, not active or "on".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

firewall is always turned on...
    Nope, it's not. We have had this discussion before I think. Please type this into a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo iptables -L
    ... You will most likely get this as result:
    Code:
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    Voila, no active firewall whatsoever.

Or please try this command:
    Code:
    sudo lsmod | grep ip
    ... You will get a result which looks something like this:
    Code:
    ipv6                  273892  26 
    snd_cmipci             37024  1 
    snd_opl3_lib           11520  1 snd_cmipci
    snd_mpu401_uart         9600  2 snd_cmipci,snd_mpu401
    snd_pcm                80388  4 saa7134_alsa,snd_cmipci,snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss
    snd                    54660  17 saa7134_alsa,snd_cmipci,snd_opl3_lib,snd_mpu401,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
    gameport               16776  2 snd_cmipci,analog
    .... No sign whatsoever of a firewall.

On the system I just used the "iptables" command I have two entries which hint at the possibility of activating the firewall:
    Code:
    iptable_filter          3968  0 
    ip_tables              13924  1 iptable_filter
    x_tables               16260  1 ip_tables
    ... But again, the absence of all other modules tells me that there is no firewall active here!

Now for comparison the output from a system which does have an active firewall:

Code:
    ~ > sudo lsmod | grep ip
    iptable_nat            16900  0 
    nf_nat                 30636  1 iptable_nat
    nf_conntrack_ipv4      29456  2 iptable_nat
    nf_conntrack           83548  3 iptable_nat,nf_nat,nf_conntrack_ipv4
    nfnetlink              15432  3 nf_nat,nf_conntrack_ipv4,nf_conntrack
    ip_tables              31080  1 iptable_nat
    x_tables               30600  2 iptable_nat,ip_tables
    ipv6                  360168  34 
    chipreg                11904  2 jedec_probe,cfi_probe
    See all those modules, e.g. for NAT, for IP connection tracking, and so on? Yes, this is an active firewall here.

But this is not what you get "out of the box" and hence your statement is again not correct.

Yes, the basis for activating a firewall (the "infrastructure" if you want to call it so) is there. But it's not activated at all, it does nothing at all and the above shell commandos should be proof enough to show this.

except if you remove iptables from the kernel (is that possible?)
    Of course you can remove it. Just untick the firewall features when you configure your kernel and that's it. Not hard at all to do. And even if you leave it in: See above. The groundwork for a firewall is there, yes. But "out of the box" it is neither active nor will it do *anything* at all to protect you from unwanted network traffic.

The question in the previous posting is thus valid: A user should be asked if they want to activate the firewall and have all incoming network traffic filtered by default. Because right now it's not doing anything like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by scorp123 View Post
    Code:
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    Voila, no active firewall whatsoever.

I don't agree with that statement. Iptables is used to administer the kernel level packet filtering (netfilter). Iptables and netfilter are obviously active, yet set to a default policy of accepting all traffic. A firewall is not a firewall just by virtue of being set to block traffic. If anything I would call it an "unconfigured" firewall, since firewalls start with either a policy of default allow or default deny. Any additional configuration is up to the person who maintains the firewall.

Change the command to

Code:
    sudo iptables -L -v
    ..and you will see that the kernel packet filter is still inspecting the network traffic, since it will give you the number of packets for each default chain. Just because it has not been configured to do more than its default policy does not make it not a firewall.
    Last edited by Monicker; June 1st, 2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Im not sure what the right answer is frankly, however aren't you two splitting hairs?

Whether the iptables is inactive by default, or active but not set to block anything -- in the end -- the result is the same. In order to take advantage of the built-in firewall, the ruleset must be fed into iptables at every boot (whether through importing a ruleset, or by adding additional rules either manually or through a frontend). Only then is the firewall truly active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Monicker View Post
    I don't agree with that statement ... Iptables and netfilter are obviously active, yet set to a default policy of accepting all traffic.
    OK, let me fine-tune my statement: "active firewall" in the sense that it would filter network traffic and not "active" in the sense of "being present". That's how I used it I think ("active" == "filtering traffic") and in this sense my statements should be correct.

A firewall is not a firewall just by virtue of being set to block traffic. If anything I would call it an "unconfigured" firewall
    I agree to that. You see, there already was a lengthy thread where hyper_ch and me disagreed what the difference between "unconfigured" and "default configuration" is when it comes to "iptables". I guess I am on the same page as you: "iptables" is 'out of the box' unconfigured, yes. Here is the thread I am referring to:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=640752

since firewalls start with either a policy of default allow or default deny. Any additional configuration is up to the person who maintains the firewall.
    Yes, absolutely.

Just because it has not been configured to do more than its default policy does not make it not a firewall.
    Technically you are right, yes. But please see above, when I wrote "active firewall" I meant it in the sense "this firewall is filtering stuff" and not "firewall technology is always present" -- yes, it's present, but from a packet filtering point of view not "active" in the sense that it would keep any traffic away. If anything it's completely "passive" in its default setting.

And this is also what is often misunderstood by newcomers: They're told "Ubuntu is safe out of the box". Yes, this is more or less true if we compare this with e.g. Windows out of the box. And then they are told "You don't need to download a firewall, Linux already has a built-in firewall". This is also true. But here's the catch: Many people connect the two and thus misunderstand the message as being "Ubuntu is safe out of the box because there is a built-in firewall" ... And this is obviously *WRONG*. Ubuntu's safety "out of the box" comes from the fact that per default there are no TCP or UDP ports listening for outside traffic, and not because the firewall would do any magical work in its default setting --- and semantics aside, I think we both agree that the default setting of "iptables" on Ubuntu is not filtering anything (regardless if I call that stuff "active firewall" vs. "passive firewall") and letting all traffic through.

So to get back to the topic I'd say tebben's posting a little bit further up is not such a bad idea: The users should be asked if they want the firewall "active" (= in the sense that it filters traffic) and the installer should then create a default rule set which would e.g. let all outgoing traffic out but block all unwanted incoming traffic.

Other distros such as OpenSUSE are already doing this for quite some time now. Per default the SUSE installer will activate the firewall and only offer to activate SSH. Here is a screenshot:

IMHO this is not such a bad idea at all. Users who know what they are doing can still click on that button to disable the firewall but for the average home user who doesn't want to risk anything such an option would definitely be nice, IMHO.
    Last edited by scorp123; June 1st, 2008 at 07:30 PM.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast