Thread: VPN Help

Hybrid View

Beans

VPN Help

I am lost when it comes to VPNs. I need to access a windows network remotely from my laptop. My laptop runs ubuntu. The router in front of the windows network is a Linksys WRV200.

Is there any how-to which discusses the necessary steps on both ends?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: VPN Help

Beans

Thanks! I read through it and I think that the tutorial does not cover my situation. From what I can tell I need to use IPSEC. The tutorial specifically says
    OpenVPN and IPSEC are not currently covered here
    In fact, my router has a whole page dedicated to IPSEC VPN.

I've tried searching for a tutorial on IPSEC but I mostly find information on setting up a IPSEC server. Is OpenVPN the same as IPSEC? Confused...

Beans

Hi, i have this Router too, and i'm having the same problem, i can't connect to the vpn... i've tryed with kvpn, that's have ipsec support, but it doesn't work either. No body can do this? And i've tryed with wine + QuickVPN utility (i've found a blog that someone says that with this conbination will work), and nothing, the utility says that "It's OK!!! it's CONNECTED!!!" but it looks like it's only a joke...... bad for us

Beans

I've tried running QuickVPN in wine as well but have been unsuccessful. I see others have been successful so I guess there is hope although I'd rather not use a wine solution. I seem to have troubles with wine in other win32 apps that are known to run well so I think my setup may be contributing to that failure.

Anyways, as an update, I am still unable to connect to my VPN.