Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pismo -won't boot to cd

Beans

Pismo -won't boot to cd

Mac Pismo will not boot to xubuntu 8.04 LiveCD. Hold c key -it boots to OS 9. LiveCD works in another machine (Gateway X200). Thanks for any help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Pismo -won't boot to cd

Quote Originally Posted by wanthh View Post
    Mac Pismo will not boot to xubuntu 8.04 LiveCD. Hold c key -it boots to OS 9. LiveCD works in another machine (Gateway X200). Thanks for any help
    You need the ppc release; the Live CD you have is, I presume, the i386 release, as it boots the Gateway. See the first sticky at the top of the thread for the locations to obtain the PPC version. Good luck.

Beans

Best tip so far, thanks. The Mac Pismo is booting to livecd while holding the c key but now its going to the white screen. Mac has 380Mb RAM memory. Is that enough for Ubuntu 8.04?

Beans
    Distro

Best tip so far, thanks. The Mac Pismo is booting to livecd while holding the c key but now its going to the white screen. Mac has 380Mb RAM memory. Is that enough for Ubuntu 8.04?
    That's enough to run it, I believe, but I'd suggest grabbing the alternate install cd if you are planning on installing it anyway. I've more RAM on my Cubes than you do on the Pismo, but I could never get the Live CD to boot "right". Even after installing, there were issues to be resolved by editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, etc. Maybe others have had success with the Live CD on a similar computer who can give you better assistance than I.

You might also want to take a look at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ as it has some information that may be of assistance.

Beans
    Hidden!

I forget if the pismo has the 8gb partitioning limitation (make it 7gb to be safe)...
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro

Forgot about this; when you boot from the Live CD, at the second yaboot prompt (if you got that far), did you try "Live video=ofonly" as an option (without the quotes, of course). That may help.

Beans

Using "live video=ofonly" the Pismo boots until a page of "* starting ---" statements and [ok]'s. Last line on page is * running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) . Blinking line for an entry went away. I have no idea what to do now. Would the alternate CD really be the easier way to do this?

Beans
    Distro

Using "live video=ofonly" the Pismo boots until a page of "* starting ---" statements and [ok]'s. Last line on page is * running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) . Blinking line for an entry went away. I have no idea what to do now. Would the alternate CD really be the easier way to do this?
    I had the same problem with the Live CD, when I wanted to see if it would work (had not installed from a Live CD since 5.10). As mentioned earlier, the alternate cd worked for me to get the system installed. I'd d/l the alternate iso, do the md5sum, burn at low speed to a good quality CD-R, and try that. I think it will be a lot easier in the long run.

Beans

Thats what I'm going to do now. You've been a great help. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

I'm presuming you want to install xubuntu, as your first post indicated. Looking at the xubuntu site, 8.04 is out in beta, not final. So, I presume further you are doing a ubuntu install instead. I will tell you that I was able to install 8.04 server as a minimal install (skipped the part about what kind of server I wanted, LAMP, etc. during the install) and put the xubuntu desktop package on top of it "just to try it out". It went well as to install, etc., but I found that I had issues with sound that I didn't want to wrestle with, and removed it. Anyway, good luck with the next step.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast