Thread: control video player remotely?

Beans

control video player remotely?

is it possible to control totem/(gnome-)mplayer/vlc remotely? What I would like to do it sit back on my couch to watch something on the 22" desktop monitor, but control playback on with my laptop which is beside me. Would this be done over ssh or some other way?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: control video player remotely?

first, I think you'll get a more accurate and knowledgeable response if you posted this in the Multimedia & Video section of the forums. This is more for producing multimedia.

SSH is probably not the way to go as it creates a new login to the system. The only way I could see this possibly working would be if the computer didn't initialize X on boot, and permissions were granted for remote users to use X - don't ask me how.

A better solution would be to look into VLC, as I'm fairly certain its main strength is in Networked Video.
    What makes a great open source contributor is not primarily the brilliance of their ideas or importance of their bug, but rather their willingness to see it through to success.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: control video player remotely?

Moved to Multimedia & Video.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]