Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iMac 24" running hot

Beans

iMac 24" running hot

Hey, my iMac 24-inch 2.4GHz 1 gb RAM seems to be getting much hotter than usual while using Hardy. I cant tell you the temp because I haven't found a proper utility to measure the temp (most say they can't detect temp sensors). I can tell just by feeling the top/back of the computer where the vents are. Is anyone else having this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: iMac 24" running hot

Quote Originally Posted by pam258 View Post
    Hey, my iMac 24-inch 2.4GHz 1 gb RAM seems to be getting much hotter than usual while using Hardy. I cant tell you the temp because I haven't found a proper utility to measure the temp (most say they can't detect temp sensors). I can tell just by feeling the top/back of the computer where the vents are. Is anyone else having this problem?
    everyone with a mac complains that it runs hot. My iMac seems to hot a bit hotter in Ubuntu than in OSX, but I have not had any issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just open a console and do a
    Code:
    lsmod|grep apple
    this should return a line, which contains "applesmc", if not there are two things.
    Try loading the "applesmc" module.
    Code:
    modprobe applesmc
    and see if the first command returns the line now. If not, this post won't help you, Sorry.

If the applesmc line appears:
    change to directory /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/ in command line. There should be Information on fan-speed and temperature there. If you enter (in this directory)
    Code:
    sudo echo "3000" > fan1_min
    , your system should stay cooler. The preset min is just a little bit too low.
    If this works you can sudo edit /etc/rc.local and add a line like "echo "3000" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_min" there.
    Hope that helps...
    Last edited by pveith; May 15th, 2008 at 03:17 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pveith View Post
    Just open a console and do a
    Code:
    lsmod|grep apple
    this should return a line, which contains "applesmc", if not there are two things.
    Try loading the "applesmc" module.
    Code:
    modprobe applesmc
    and see if the first command returns the line now. If not, this post won't help you, Sorry.

If the applesmc line appears:
    change to directory /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/ in command line. There should be Information on fan-speed and temperature there. If you enter (in this directory)
    Code:
    sudo echo "3000" > fan1_min
    , your system should stay cooler. The preset min is just a little bit too low.
    If this works you can sudo edit /etc/rc.local and add a line like "echo "3000" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_min" there.
    Hope that helps...
    Hi pveith,

I already tried this solution, however, this topic shows the result. Do you know where does this problem comes from ?

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm running the PPC architecture, but found that Hardy was the first one that didn't do cpu frequency scaling properly with powernowd, so my iMac was always running full-steam ahead - I had to change my scaler to cpudyn.

We're on totally different machines, but wonder how cpu frequency scaling is working for the Intel Macs with hardy...
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stream303 View Post
    I'm running the PPC architecture, but found that Hardy was the first one that didn't do cpu frequency scaling properly with powernowd, so my iMac was always running full-steam ahead - I had to change my scaler to cpudyn.

We're on totally different machines, but wonder how cpu frequency scaling is working for the Intel Macs with hardy...
    Hi,

I am also having an iMac. Can you tell me more about powernowd and cpudyn ? You said you changed your scaler, but, how did you do that ?
    Note that however my temperature problem comes from the HDD (55-60°C), and not from the CPUs (35°C) ...

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!

I just used synaptic to search for powernowd, uninstalled it, and then searched for cpudyn and installed that. Scaling took effect pretty quickly. I just added a frequency-scaling monitoring applet in the top bar to keep an eye on it and verify that I had a problem in the first place.

Or if you think the system is settled, cat /proc/cpuinfo

This scaling issue only showed up on my PPC iMac, and not any other boxes..
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans

I have a 20" Intel Mac and I was wondering if you fixed your problem ?
    1. Ubuntu 9.10
    3. Windows 7 (Games)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think that the applesmc module only works on portables anyway.... (Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air) I get the same error when trying to load applesmc on my iMac. I have never had to change the fan speed though. It runs just fine without.

Beans

So I shouldn't worry about the heat ?
    1. Ubuntu 9.10
    3. Windows 7 (Games)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast