New Job posted on UMJobs website
Hello Michigan team!
I was looking through listings on the UM Jobs website and I found one that could be perfect for one of the Michigan Team members if they are looking for a job. I'm not qualified for it, but because of the Linux technical experience required for the job, perhaps one of y'all can do it. You can apply even as an outside candidate; just go to umjobs.org and scan the listings for job ID 20255. Heck with it, I'll just paste the bulk of it in here. GOOD LUCK!!!
Market Title: Systems Programmer/Analyst Intermediate
Department: Merit Network
Salary range: Minimum mid-50's
Shift/Hours/Days: M-F 40 hour position
NOTE: Position requires participation in on-call rotation.
Background: Merit Network, Inc. is a non-profit, member-owned organization in Ann Arbor, formed in 1966 to design and implement a computer network between public universities in Michigan. Merit continues to provide high-performance networking and services to the research and education communities in Michigan and beyond. For additional information about Merit, please see www.merit.edu.
Position Summary: Merit Network is seeking a highly motivated candidate to join our information technology group. You will be part of a team that supports core IT services,
hosted in an environment predominantly running Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris.
* Support Merit's Network Operating Center (NOC) in developing and deploying network and server monitoring tools.
* Support SMTP, HTTP/S, LDAP, DNS and other services to ensure maximum uptime
* Install, configure, test, debug, and document commercial and open source
* Troubleshoot and solve problems.
* Work closely with other groups within the organization to roll out new
products, services, and operational tools.
* Participate in architecture planning.
* Analyze performance trends across a variety of systems for capacity planning.
* Assist in the creation and refinement of IT policies and documentation.
* Develop and document best practice methods of administering our systems.
* Develop project plans, task lists, time lines, deployment plans and rollback
* Provide customer education/assistance and technical support as required.
* Use your experience to back up your fellow team members.
* Perform on-call support for production systems/applications, including
problem investigation, escalation, resolution, and communication with our
* Bachelor's degree in computer science, a related field, or equivalent experience.
* 3+ years experience in managing and supporting UNIX systems.
* Experience with administration of Linux, BSD, or Solaris systems.
* Experience with UNIX shell scripting.
* Experience with Perl or Python programming.
* Experience with Postfix, Sendmail, Exim or similar MTA.
* Knowledge of LDAP.
* Experience with Apache 1.x/2.x.
* Solid understanding of TCP/IP networking concepts.
* Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills with the
ability to interact effectively with employees at all levels within the
* Experience with SNMP and monitoring/analysis tools such as ZenOSS, Nagios,
Cacti, Cricket, Intermapper, or Big Brother.
* Experience with Zimbra Collaboration Suite.
* Experience with Oracle and Oracle Forms and/or MySQL.
* Experience with AFS file system administration.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.