Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dma is on, dvd playback still lacking

Beans

Re: dma is on, dvd playback still lacking

148.5MB of data copied to harddrive in around 2 minutes,
    that is not a good time, normally about 15 sec. Maybe the disk is damaged or your drive or related hardware is struggling.
    downgrading libdvdcss2 from 1.2.9-2medibuntu4
    that is the correct medibuntu version for hardy 32 bit
    [00000353] main private warning: dts != current_pts (18104
    [00000353] main private warning: backward_pts != current_pts (-40000)
    [00000351] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (158240), dropping buffer
    here's a short description
    Code:
    The DTS (Decoding Time Stamp) and PTS (Presentation Time Stamp) timestamps are when
    the decoder is supposed to decode and display the frame relative to the SCR (System Clock
    Reference) timestamp. The SCR can be thought of as the time the decoder is supposed to read
    the data from the disk.
    Every packet of data in the mpeg file has an SCR timestamp and this timestamp is the value
    the system clock should be at when the packet is read. Usually, a decoder will start the system
    clock when it starts reading an mpeg stream (the initial value of the system clock is the SCR
    from the first packet of data, usually zero but it does not have to start at zero).
    The DTS timestamp tells the decoder to decode the frame when the SCR time reaches the
    DTS time, likewise for the PTS timestamp. Usually, the DTS/PTS timestamps indicate a time
    later than the SCR of the packet the video/audio appear in. For example, if the SCR of a
    packet of video data is 100ms (meaning it is read from the disk 100ms after the start of
    playback), the DTS/PTS values would be something like 200/280ms, meaning when the SCR
    reaches 200ms this video data is supposed to be decoded and then 80ms later it is to be
    displayed (the video data is held in a buffer until decoding time)
    all in all it seems to be pointing to a hardware issue
    you could try using a player that lets you set a high cache, or a fresh install of vlc, dvdnav, dvdread, the Os, ect. It may be more useful if you could try a different dvd drive, maybe borrow one. No sense buying if issue is elsewhere

Beans

Dvd still very bad quality, which I know it isn't. Sorry, had to resize a partition and then my sound drivers and flash decided to screw up on me again so I had to fix that up.

Actually, the quality has improved but not to (dare I say it) the standard that I got while using windows. I know it's nitpicking now but hmm.. Thanks for the in-depth help by the way mate.
    Last edited by miickEe; May 19th, 2008 at 08:49 AM.

Beans

Ok pretty much back to square one, just all turned to crap now.

I've put another dvd drive in there, still gets the slow read speeds.

Video playback is unreliable and very sensitive to scenes with a lot of movement. It's very pixellated, so maybe it can't get enough information from the disc in the time it needs and needs to pad it?

I have no other options, do I? I mean, could it also be a video card issue?
    [EDIT]
    I have ogle and it works a complete charm for some dvds, the rest are "liney" (look too digital, don't ask me that's the best description I can give lol).
    Last edited by miickEe; May 19th, 2008 at 05:27 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123