Thread: Installing on a Netgear ND508/520

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Installing on a Netgear ND508/520

I don't think any one can help here. But maybe.

I love to get Ubuntu server working on a Netgear ND508 or ND520. Each came with a 8GB or 20GB hard drive. All it has is some LED's, Power, and Ethernet to it. No keyboard, mouse, or screen!

But I have got Trustix Secure Linux 3.0.5 installed and working on it. It booted with both GRUB LILO but that was Trustix. But Ubuntu it will not with ether GRUB or LILO boot. I install it and Trustix on a motherboard with a Ethernet card like the chip it has in the Netgear. So that way I can log in to it to use it.

I am thinking they my be a way save a Ubuntu server on it and then edit Trustix's GRUB boot to point to the Ubuntu boot. But I don't know how to do this and if it can be done. Any one know.

I got this working on a 320GB hard drive. I can't do nothing with the BIOS in the Netgear ND508. It's something it works with a big hard drive. When other older PC need a update BIOS. So the Netgear is good for this but is OS is very old and hard to make it work on a bigger hard drive.

Or any one know a good place to ask this? Because any post I have done here I get no help!

-Raymond Day

Beans

Re: Installing on a Netgear ND508/520

Did you try the trustix forums?

I don't know much about the device. But maybe a few ideas.
    Since there is no display or serial, you can't really tell what grub has for an error right?
    You could compare /boot/grub/menu.lst from trustix and ubuntu.
    Do a fresh grub install and force it to point to (hd0,0)
    You could also try using dd to backup the mbr (containing grub stage 1) from trustix and copying it to the ubuntu drive, making a backup of the ubuntu mbr first. You only want to copy the first 446 bytes of the drive like:
    dd if=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1 of=mbrbackup
    and then
    dd if=mbrbackup bs=446 count=1 of=/dev/hda
    Ubuntu 9.10 (minimal) with Openbox / Windows XP SP3 (to play games)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Installing on a Netgear ND508/520

NASLite HDD works on the Netgear ND508/520! Can use the install CD on about any system. Set it up some on that system then put the hard drive in the Netgear and it works. I and others posted about it here:

http://www.serverelements.com/forums...&sd=a&start=15

I think this is better then a Ubuntu server as a NAS box.

It my be neat if they had a easy set up ubuntu NAS CD.

-Raymond Day