Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [INTEL MBP GEN2] disabling Ubuntu Hardy Touchpad...

Beans

Re: [INTEL MBP GEN2] disabling Ubuntu Hardy Touchpad...

As for your error, you have probably made a mistake in editing your xorg.conf file in some way... It is always a good idea to save your current version of that file before messing with it, as an error can leave you unable to log into the desktop, as you just found. It is worth checking the /etc/X11 directory to see if there is a file named "xorg.conf~" (note the ~) as linux often makes automatic backup copies with a tilda on the end. If you have a backup of the previously functional version, just copy it over the borked one and reboot X (ctrl alt backspace).

If you haven't got a backup file, you are going to have to reconfigure X from scratch..

Run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg", then reapply any changes you have made

Hope that is helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by issih View Post
    As for your error, you have probably made a mistake in editing your xorg.conf file in some way... It is always a good idea to save your current version of that file before messing with it, as an error can leave you unable to log into the desktop, as you just found. It is worth checking the /etc/X11 directory to see if there is a file named "xorg.conf~" (note the ~) as linux often makes automatic backup copies with a tilda on the end. If you have a backup of the previously functional version, just copy it over the borked one and reboot X (ctrl alt backspace).

If you haven't got a backup file, you are going to have to reconfigure X from scratch..

Run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg", then reapply any changes you have made

Hope that is helpful
    I ran that command, and xorg.conf seems to be back to it's normal state. However, i don't know what you mean by reapplying changes, and i still cannot login to any sessions :/ Would it be easier to simply make a new account,move all of my stuff from my borked account there, and simply start anew? I have not made anything that is hard to configure and wouldn't take more than 15 mins to my main account currently... Plus, thanks to this thread, i seem to know what to do know
    Last edited by ThatGuyThere; May 15th, 2008 at 01:14 AM.

Beans

Probably worth a whirl to make a new user account, if it fixes the problem then you can get on with using your computer rather than trouble shooting it...If things are still playing up we'll know you have a deeper issue than just user settings being screwy

good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12