Thread: What can effect video output, besides the xorg.conf?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

What can effect video output, besides the xorg.conf?

I was having a bit of trouble getting my Sony TV to display as a dual monitor via HDMI. I seemed to have hit on something that worked, and it was working fine. It totally was setup as a separate x-screen, compiz worked, everything. Life was good. FWIW, the TV would display everything like the regular monitor, including the bootup text and Nvidia splash screen. So I saved my xorg.conf to a backup.

Now, it's not working again. It alternates between juddering/tearing/morphing and not displaying anything at all. Furthermore, it shows nothing until after login. This is how it was behaving before, before I 'got it' working.

I cross checked my xorg.conf with that that I saved when it was working, and it's identical.

So, what could be causing this, besides things that change the xorg.conf? I don't suppose it's even worth messing with the Nvidia settings manager, since the xorg.conf hasn't changed since it was working. Bad Cable? Bad motherboard? Even bad TV?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: What can effect video output, besides the xorg.conf?

I don't know what it might be but for sure i know that nvidia-settings do effect the output. A .nvidia-settings file is both created in /root and /home/yourusername folder. Try reconfigure the second monitor through gksudo nvidia-settings
    8.10 on HDX16-1050ev
    My Ubuntu Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: What can effect video output, besides the xorg.conf?

I started my computer up this morning, and it worked. It's leading me to believe the reason it works after being turned off for a few hours is my graphics card has cooled down. It stands to reason. But what should I do?