Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alabama to buy Linux machines

Beans

Alabama to buy Linux machines

I didn't know where else to post this but I thought it was something we should all be happy about. Birmingham, Alabama may buy 15,000 Linux laptops for schools.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2007/12/...ls_will_b.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Alabama to buy Linux machines

Its about time the schools in Alabama got some computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

They should rather hook kids on Desktops with edubuntu than on XOs in my opinion.
    Last edited by ukripper; May 14th, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well my Geography never was any good, but I thought Alabama was in America, one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Seems odd that the kids there are getting a Laptop designed for the poorest kids in the world. But then again I never understood the logic of giving (or is it selling?) starving kids in war torn countries a Laptop, unless they are allowed to sell it to buy food (always assuming their rulers don't sell them first to buy Military Hardware).

Sorry, I guess I'm just a cynical old man
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Core 2 Duo 6300 1 GB Dual channel DDR 2 Nvidia 7300 GS
    Laptop: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 2515 Intel T5450 Core 2 Duo 2 GB Dual Channel DDR2 Ram 160gb HDD (Vista/Linux Mint 5)
    [Missing OMGPP]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I think its great. The only economical consern with running Linux has been that support cost more, but as pointed out in the Ubuntu-book, this is only a matter of supply and demand. Once the kids learn Linux, there will be more to meet the demand and the cost for Linux support will go down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

not so hot Re: Alabama to buy Linux machines

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-strategy.html

read the above
    crap hardware may spoil the linux experience
    OS upgrade with no hardware upgrade: $0.
    having a smooth first install: ....priceless.

Beans

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D90MMGNG2.html

Guess what? As of today, these laptops are now supporting the windows platform.

Moved to Community Cafe.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
    Its about time the schools in Alabama got some computers.
    Yeah, but they didn't even buy real PCs...

This says a thing or two about Alabama's education budget.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans

Yeah, but they didn't even buy real PCs...

This says a thing or two about Alabama's education budget.
    More like it says something about the guy who made the decision.

They could have purchased relatively inexpensive pcs in the $400 range and set up computer labs in each school with enough computers for 1 class at a time and it would have been money better spent and much cheaper, IMO.

My wife is an educator and has worked in a school where there was a laptop for each student and each teacher and felt it was an enormous waste of time and money. It was a constant distraction and expensive to maintain and did little to improve the GPA of the student body.

She now works in a school with students in a computer lab that students from each class attend twice per week and the lessons use the technology as a tool to reinforce what is being taught in their regular classrooms. It's a much better use of time, money, and helps education rather than distracts from it.

Technological Toys aren't going to fix the educational problem in America. Parents insisting their children study hard and get good grades is the solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast