Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardy: Problem adding xfce metapackage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Hardy: Problem adding xfce metapackage

I still can't boot into the Xfce desktop AT ALL. All I get is the light orange standard Ubuntu screen and then nothing happens.

PLZ HALP.

/izo\
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on: Intel Pentium D 3GHz, 2Gb RAM, ATi X1950 PCI-E.
    See my website

Beans

On my home machine I have the same problem. There I installed Ubuntu hardy and added Xubuntu via my AptonCD disc. The machine I made the aptonCD disc on works though. Curious

Beans

I have the same experience as lipidicman. Sadly, my 'good' installation only last for several sessions. However, if I hit ctrl-alt-backspace and re-login, I can get through

Sometimes, it take several ctrl-alt-backspace to go through

Beans

Interesting, so it is hit and miss?

Tried and that is the case here. Worked on the second try

I'll try my home machine again later
    Last edited by lipidicman; May 19th, 2008 at 12:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Izobalax View Post
    I still can't boot into the Xfce desktop AT ALL. All I get is the light orange standard Ubuntu screen and then nothing happens.

PLZ HALP.

/izo\
    Still having the same problem with this.

/izo\
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on: Intel Pentium D 3GHz, 2Gb RAM, ATi X1950 PCI-E.
    See my website

Beans

On my laptop I haven't managed to get XFCE at all. Blank screen, no activity

edit: Did a fresh install (video driver issues), recovered packages with my aptoncds and now I have got in (once at least)
    Last edited by lipidicman; May 29th, 2008 at 05:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Izobalax View Post
    Still having the same problem with this.

/izo\
    New computer, fresh install of Hardy, installed Xfce-metapackage, problem remains.

Is the package broken or something?

/izo\
    See my website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bump.
    See my website

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Hardy: Problem adding xfce metapackage

I'd like to add my "two cents," but I'll admit from the beginning that I have a different setup: a fresh install of Xubuntu Hardy without Compiz or Emerald. What I DO have is experience with Xfce.

The Xfce environment is designed on purpose to auto-load a small set of applications and services. If you want more, you have to load them yourself. For instance, gnome-screensaver is loaded automatically in GNOME, but in Xfce it is not (although it is installed by default in Xfce). To load gnome-screensaver at startup, you have to add an entry to "Autostarted Apps" in Settings Manager. The same is true of vino, which is the latest Remote-desktop server. If you want to run a vino-server at startup, you must add an entry to load /usr/lib/vino/vino-server.

So what I suggest is that you may have to manually set both Compiz and Emerald to run at startup. (I had to do this in GNOME, too, for Emerald.)

Beans

I've tried to delete gnome-screensaver. It's mystics but now all right. I've tried to kill X11 5 times and every time XFCE started successfully. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12