Thread: Finding out which wifi card i have

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Finding out which wifi card i have

I just used lspci and one of the devices was an atheros wifi card. At the company website(acer) the driver for my wifi card is suppose to be a broadcom driver. Is acer just really dumb or negligent or do i need to find a better way to find out what wifi card i have? I can swear in a diffrent thread i used a diffrent command and it showed i had a broadcom card but then again lspci deosn't lie.
    Acer Aspire 5050 version 3750 AMD turion 64bit 2.2GHZ ,80GB HDD ,1GB ram, ATI xpress 1100 flgrx driver, dvd-rw drive

Beans

Re: Finding out which wifi card i have

Well is u r wifi card a usb or pci slotted one? if usb, u can issue lsusb cmd.

IF u want to see if a driver has been loaded by u r OS for that h/w, ussiue modprobe.
    My linux registered number-438221
    Use Zenwalk, its SMALL and SEXY and VERY SLIM distro. Its very fast. I love it.
    Zenwalk.org

Beans

Did you try lspci in "very verbose" mode?
    Code:
    lspci -vv
    Also, lshw might list something that lspci misses:
    Code:
    sudo lshw

Beans

lspci isn't always correct. With my acer 5520-5716 it lists my wifi card as a AR5006 when it is in fact a AR5007 so while it should show you the brand in general it isn't always correct with the model #

I would recomend using your Acer documentation or one of their websites to find out for sure what wifi chipset your laptop uses, It wasn't easy for me either but after looking at different Acer websites for different countries I found one that told my wifi chipset model.

I think you will find you have an Atheros brand wifi of some sort though as it seems to be what Acer uses.

ALSO HERE IS A TIP FOR ALL ABOUT LSPCI

How to update your PCI known device list that lspci uses.

run this update command -> sudo update-pciids

this will download the most recent PCI device list from the internet