Thread: SOLVED: XPS M1330 Hardy: UVC module fails to initialize webcam

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Smile SOLVED: XPS M1330 Hardy: UVC module fails to initialize webcam

(x-posted from http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...hread.id=13835)

---
    I did a clean install of Hardy on an XPS M1330 with the thin display/UVC webcam. It worked fine in Gutsy, but now it won't work at all. Here's the relevant section of dmesg output:

Code:

[   20.719793] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device Laptop Integrated Webcam (05a9:7670)
        [   20.720088] uvcvideo: Failed to query (135) UVC control 1 (unit 0) : -32 (exp. 26).
        [   20.720337] uvcvideo: Failed to query (129) UVC control 1 (unit 0) : -32 (exp. 26).
        [   20.720340] uvcvideo: Failed to initialize the device (-5).
        [   20.720371] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
        [   20.720374] USB Video Class driver (v0.1.0)
    ---

Found more information on the problem here: http://developer.berlios.de/feature/...&group_id=5681

---

And fixed it by installing the latest UVC module from svn:

1. install prereqs if you don't have them

Code:
    sudo aptitude install subversion build-essential
    2. back up current module, just in case

Code:
    sudo cp /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/ubuntu/media/usbvideo/uvcvideo.ko /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/ubuntu/media/usbvideo/uvcvideo.ko.bak

3. Check out latest source code

Code:
    svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/linux-uvc/linux-uvc/trunk

4. go to the 'trunk' directory

Code:
    cd trunk

5. Edit Makefile

Code:
    nano Makefile
    (or use gedit or whatever you like)

6. Change the line starting with INSTALL_MOD_DIR to this:

Code:
    INSTALL_MOD_DIR := /lib/modules/$(KERNEL_VERSION)/ubuntu/media/usbvideo
    7. Install it

Code:
    make

sudo make install

8. Reboot (you could also unload the old module and load the new one, but I didn't remember the command off the top of my head, and I'm lazy)

dmesg still gave me a "Failed to query" line (see below), but everything works now! Tested in Cheese and Ekiga.

Code:
    [   20.749569] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
    [   20.822180] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device Laptop Integrated Webcam (05a9:7670)
    [   20.822549] uvcvideo: Failed to query (135) UVC control 1 (unit 0) : -32 (exp. 26).
    [   20.870964] input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input13
    [   20.881187] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
    [   20.881192] USB Video Class driver (v0.1.0)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: SOLVED: XPS M1330 Hardy: UVC module fails to initialize webcam

That's odd... I have a m1330 with LED backlight screen and VGA webcam and I didn't have to do anything. My webcam works out of the box (tested on Ekiga and Skype) on Gutsy and with a fresh install of Hardy.
    This looks nothing like my signature...
    My Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have an Inspiron 1525 and whenever i resume laptop from suspend, there is some UVC error for a brief moment I haven't catched yet, and the computer beeps 3, 4 times very loudly and then unsuspends normally. Webcam works though.

Will try compiling the new UVC module, and see it that makes any difference.

Keyper7 is offline Skinny Soy Caramel Ubuntu
    Beans

Heh, didn't test Hardy yet, but I think Gutsy on my Vostro 1400 is the weirdest case around here: sometimes it works, sometimes I get the exact same error argotnaut posted. It seems completely random. This smells of race condition.

Beans

Wow.. this worked. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

didnt know why my webcam wasnt working before this.

ok just a tip to everyone to save a few mins

the remove command is

sudo modprobe -r uvcvideo

then do

sudo modprobe uvcvideo

to reactivate the moded file.. there we go all works well!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, argotnaut, believe it or not, your crystal clear instructions also solved the problem I was having with the integrated webcam of my Dell 22" monitor SP2208WFP!!!

And thanks also to ameeno for saving me a reboot...

Thanks guys for proving me every single day how abyss-deep my knowledge of Linux and Ubuntu is, and even more thanks for relieving it with your sky-high knowledge!!!

Regards from Italy, and may Ubuntu and its community live forever.

Beans

I'm running Jaunty and after numerous attempts can get the webcam going by toggling modprobe -r and back again a few times like someone mentions here in the forums, not really a good sign I think!. I cannot seem to use the microphone though.
    Any suggestions re maybe using ndwiswrapper or some generic mod to enable usb mic since I can see the usb hub.
    output from dmesg

[ 15.770954] iTCO_wdt: Intel TCO WatchDog Timer Driver v1.05
    [ 15.771105] iTCO_wdt: Found a ICH7 or ICH7R TCO device (Version=2, TCOBASE=0x0460)
    [ 15.771174] iTCO_wdt: initialized. heartbeat=30 sec (nowayout=0)
    [ 15.778802] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device Monitor Webcam (SP2208WFP) (05a9:2643)
    [ 15.779158] uvcvideo: Failed to query (135) UVC control 1 (unit 0) : -32 (exp. 26).
    [ 15.779401] uvcvideo: Failed to query (129) UVC control 1 (unit 0) : -32 (exp. 26).
    [ 15.779405] uvcvideo: Failed to initialize the device (-5).
    [ 15.779458] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
    [ 15.779488] USB Video Class driver (v0.1.0)
    [ 15.793398] logitech 0003:046D:C517.0002: fixing up Logitech keyboard report descriptor
    [ 15.794197] input: Logitech USB Receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.1/input/input7

for what that's worth.
    I downloaded drivers and have it all working under XP but I don't want to have to boot into xp to use Skype.

Beans

I'm using karmic and my webcam stopped working. I have no

HTML Code:
    uvcvideo.ko
    file in

HTML Code:
    /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/ubuntu/media/usbvideo/
    it is instead in:

HTML Code:
    /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/uvc/uvcvideo.ko

Backup would be:

HTML Code:
    sudo cp /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/uvc/uvcvideo.ko /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/uvc/uvcvideo.ko.bak
    INSTALL_MOD_DIR:

HTML Code:
    INSTALL_MOD_DIR := /lib/modules/$(KERNEL_VERSION)/kernel/drivers/media/video/uvc

Gonna wait until the final version of Karmic and if it's not solved on its own I'll try this method and report back.

UPDATE:

My issue is fixed. I installed Cheese, rebooted and it's fine. I did not follow the instructions here, I don't want to hijack the thread or anything but since it's working now I just wanted to let people know.
    Last edited by Dangger; October 25th, 2009 at 09:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Dangger View Post
    I'm using karmic and my webcam stopped working. [...]
    UPDATE:

My issue is fixed. I installed Cheese, rebooted and it's fine. I did not follow the instructions here, I don't want to hijack the thread or anything but since it's working now I just wanted to let people know.
    Hi Dangger,
    I just updated to Karmic as well, and decided to take it up very seriously with the little b*****d webcam... (drum rolls, please!) for the first time ever since I bought my Dell monitor SP2208WFP (March 2008), its integrated webcam FINALLY STARTED TO WORK!!!

Now, the problem is that I'm totally unsure of how I did it... I mean:

• After reading your post, I immediately tried to install Cheese, following our input: didn't work.
    • I then tried to modprobe -r/modprobe the uvcvideo kernel module, but the Koala replied to both commands with a (error?) message:
      Code:
      WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
      WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc, it will be ignored in a future release.
      so, given my abyss-deep knowledge of Ubuntu (and Linux) secrets, I simply didn't understand if I was actually succeeding in unloading/reloading the module.
    • I came back to Cheese to close it and restart it and... magic magic, I was there on my monitor, looking at myself in total amazement!!!

So, I have to conclude that, in spite of the cryptic (to me) Koala's messages, modprobing -r and re-modprobing the uvcvideo module actually seemed to work.
    Let's see what will happen at the next restart...

Sweet dreams to all (almost midnight here).