Thread: Rename "Applications Places System" Menu

Beans

Rename "Applications Places System" Menu

Hello!

I want to rename the "Applications Places System" menu. Not the items within, i want to change "Applications" -> "A", "Places" -> "P", "System" -> "S" - to save space on the panel

I already tried to edit /usr/share/desktop-directories/Applications.directory - that looked good, but didn't change anything.

Does somebody know how to do it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Rename "Applications Places System" Menu

If your concerned about desktop space, why not just add the "Main Menu" applet in the "add to panel" and then remove the original menus from the panel.. Right click on panel and select "Add to Panel".

Hope this helps...

Beans

Well, that's what i did as a workaround. The gnome main menu unfortunately is quite unclear and clumsy compared to the Applications-Places-System menu.

Beans

Cool to see I am not the only one wanting that

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jakon View Post
    I want to rename the "Applications Places System" menu. Not the items within, i want to change "Applications" -> "A", "Places" -> "P", "System" -> "S" - to save space on the panel
    I second that request to be able to re-label those menus or to use icons. Panel real-estate is valuable.

Beans

Beans

Just confirming the link works in 10.10. Though, I had to get liblocale-msgfmt-perl and gettext in order to make it work. And since I didn't put it in home, had to cd ~/Desktop to get the file I made (name doesn't matter). Keep that in mind before taking the guide on.

It's awesome. I have my menu bar set as Start User Ubuntu. It makes kinda sorts more sense for the Windows user, as Start has all the programs you can access, User is home folder, desktop and filesystems and Ubuntu's everything you can personalize on... Well, Ubuntu.

Thinking about finding the old red/orange/yellow Ubuntu icon and swapping out the white one for that as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Gnomenu. I think that is what you are looking for.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by there.is.only.xul View Post
    Thinking about finding the old red/orange/yellow Ubuntu icon and swapping out the white one for that as well.
    This is the first thing I do when installing recent versions of Ubuntu! Easily done using Ubuntu Tweak and using image at /usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/places/ubuntu-logo.svg