Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The #1 Ubuntu Bug - Packages Are Not Current

Beans

Re: The #1 Ubuntu Bug - Packages Are Not Current

In the interests of accuracy, contrary to the OP's statement, Mandriva (and, to my knowledge, other major stable-release based distros like OpenSUSE and Fedora) does not do version upgrades in official update repositories as a matter of course. The rationale for this is longstanding and well-established: new versions of applications often introduce behaviour changes, incompatibilities with previous releases, and sometimes new bugs. As the purpose of a stable release is to be *stable*, we (and Ubuntu, SUSE etc etc etc) do not introduce version upgrades as official updates.

The packages you are finding via a pbone search are most likely in Mandriva Cooker, the development distribution. In much the same way, you could find the latest versions of most applications in Ubuntu's current development version.

Mandriva does have an official and quite widely-used (both by developers and by users) set of /backports repositories, where version upgrades that are commonly requested are provided, without official support. From what I can tell, Ubuntu's backports project is less populated and less widely used, and most backports tend to be done through PPAs.
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans

Re: The #1 Ubuntu Bug - Packages Are Not Current

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWill View Post
    In the interests of accuracy, contrary to the OP's statement, Mandriva (and, to my knowledge, other major stable-release based distros like OpenSUSE and Fedora) does not do version upgrades in official update repositories as a matter of course. The rationale for this is longstanding and well-established: new versions of applications often introduce behaviour changes, incompatibilities with previous releases, and sometimes new bugs. As the purpose of a stable release is to be *stable*, we (and Ubuntu, SUSE etc etc etc) do not introduce version upgrades as official updates.

The packages you are finding via a pbone search are most likely in Mandriva Cooker, the development distribution. In much the same way, you could find the latest versions of most applications in Ubuntu's current development version.

Mandriva does have an official and quite widely-used (both by developers and by users) set of /backports repositories, where version upgrades that are commonly requested are provided, without official support. From what I can tell, Ubuntu's backports project is less populated and less widely used, and most backports tend to be done through PPAs.
    Well, if PPAs are the answer, then I wish there was an easy way for normal users to generate current packages from a web interface.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12