Thread: Setting Up a DNS Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Setting Up a DNS Server

On many websites for your DNS servers it ask you to type in a couple of different address:
    dn1.dnswebsite.com
    dn2.dnswebsite.com

Is it possible to do this so i can have it redirect to my home computer with a dns sever installed:
    dns1.myipaddress
    dns2.myipaddress

If so how would i go about setting up this dns sever?

The reason I wish to know is on my webserver i hope to set up a CPanel install just to make everything so much easier, as i have quite alot of domains too manage and if i a managing everything from my home server i might as well add my dns server too so the only thing i have to use other peoples services for is buying my domains and changing the nameservers.

Thanks in advance
    Saj
    Ubuntu User Since 6.06 - "Here To Help"
    Ubuntu Beta Tester Since 6.10 - "We have the problems so you don't have too."
    --------------------------------------------------
    Linux Registered User: 452642 Ubuntu Registered User: 17365

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Setting Up a DNS Server

Is it possible to do this so i can have it redirect to my home computer with a dns sever installed:
    dns1.myipaddress
    Only if you get an official DNS delegation from your upstream provider. It's usually a bad idea to try to do this to a home machine.

On the other hand, having your home machine run a caching DNS server so you can get faster responses and control where it goes is quite a good idea. You can use something simple like dnsmasq or something complicated like bind9 depending on your needs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Setting Up a DNS Server

You don't have to use anyone's DNS servers in particular. You can try 2.2.2.4, 2.2.2.5, and 2.2.2.6. They are fairly fast servers right on the internet backbone. Running a DNS server locally is not necessary unless you have a large amount of computers (>10).

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"