Thread: gazp5 - sound barely audible

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

gazp5 - sound barely audible

After upgrading, my sound is barely audible - at halfway up, its nonexistant, and even at full blast its hard to hear, especially over any background noise!

Fairly off topic... but is there any development on touchpad sensitivity on here? Or how bout for the fingerprint sensor??
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Education is what is left when you have forgotten all the facts. -Francis Bacon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: gazp5 - sound barely audible

Double-click your speaker icon. In the resulting window, go to Edit > Preferences and make sure all checkboxes are selected.

You should now have a PCM slider. Turn that one up a bit. Does that help?
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

Yup, that helpd, thanks
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Awesome.

If I understand it correctly, PCM is the amplifier, and Master/Front are the volume controls. That is to say, they can only crank the sound as high as the amplifier allows.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Hello, all!

I have an MSI Extreme Gaming notebook C2duo 2.4, nvidia 8600m GT 512MB, 4 GB ram, 160 GB HDD. I also have Dolby digital 5.0 system onboard. I have all sliders maxed, and I cannot hear it unless my ear is on the speaker grill itself. I have had it for no reason get really loud on certain things, then others I cannot hear anything. Is there a place, or file where I can edit the settings to get the desired volume Im looking for?

I cannot cruise the web, Im in the navy and out to sea, it took me 20 minutes to get to be able to make this response. Please if you can PM me any fixes you might have!

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

We only support System76 computers, so we don't have a model similar to yours to test with.

You might double-click your speaker icon and, in the resulting window, go to Edit > Preferences and make sure all available checkboxes have been selected. That may present more sliders that will be helpful. PCM, Master, and Front are ones you will want to try adjusting for greater volume.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

Hmm.. well, my sound appears to be working again, but now my left speaker is crackling The right one sounds fine, but the left keeps cracking and popping

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Do you have your PCM (or Front or Master) cranked all the way up?
    If so, back it off a bit.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

Ahh thats better, pcm cranked... but why would it just crackle in the left and not both when cranked? It stops crackling around 3/4 of the way, front makes no diff... wierd

ETA: 5 mins later its now starting again, an I have had to lower PCM again... at this rate, pretty soon I'm not gonn have sound
    Last edited by EmilyRose; July 1st, 2008 at 06:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Because your speaker is failing. Please contact me via email (support(at)system76(dot)com) with your order#, shipping address, and a description of the problem.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC