Thread: Network Manager mistook USB mouse for wlan?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thumbs down Network Manager mistook USB mouse for wlan?

After connecting a USB mouse to my new laptop (Ubuntu 8.04) my wlan has completely disappeared, I can't find it in ifconfig (don't know if it was there before, but the wlan used to work!). Every time I connect the cable, I see a lot of the following in the System Log->debug:
    NetworkManager: <debug> nm_hal_device_added(): New device added (hal udi is '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_147e_1026_noserial').
    EDIT: Never mind, the wlan disappearing was not related to the mouse after all... the error message is still curious though.

My regular wired connection works sometimes... and sometimes I get an IP through DHCP, it shows up under ifconfig, but I can't connect to or ping anything. I get the following also in the system logs:
    NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
    eth0: Transmit timed out, status 0003, PHY status 786d, resetting...
    eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
    I'm not sure what wlan card/drivers I have but they are presumably ubuntu-compatible as the laptop was bought with Ubuntu installed. In the troubleshooting help it says to access System->Preferences->Hardware Information, but I have no such thing, not when editing the menus either. Just a "Hardware Drivers" for the Nvidia card.

Any help on any of this would be appreciated, I'm not a complete newbie but I'm not sure what information would be helpful to provide.
    Last edited by Daneel24; May 13th, 2008 at 12:38 PM.