View Poll Results: are you physically active ?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

96 71.11%
  • No

39 28.89%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Healthy Community ? (w/Poll)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Healthy Community ? (w/Poll)

I do Israeli folk dancing two or three times a week. There's a class at my Synagogue on Saturdays, and we meet up Wednesday and Friday nights to practice. Saturday classes usually last an hour, but two hours or so can easily fly by on our other nights. It's a lot of fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am long distance runner, run for 40min + everyday.

e.g Tommorrow we have a 8km InterSchools cross COuntry meet.

I run 400m, 800m, 1500m, 5km, 10km, 21.1km events So yea I am active. and then i do sets of situps and pushups everyday.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    I have short arms. Last thing I need is the bar in my crotch. And besides, putting it on the side gives an uneven load and leads to greater core stability.
    I agree, if that is the case, keep it too the side. I have really long arms (and legs) and never thought of that...

Yes, when you are straddling the bar, the emphasis is on the grip and not the sides.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I go Ice Dancing 3 times a week, 2 hours each time. Way to go!
    I'm third on the podium. Free Dance (Waltz) March 2008. Proud to be a geriatric ice skater.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Arrow Re: Healthy Community ? (w/Poll)

I've seen people wasting themself with sports

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Der durch die Hölle geht View Post
    I've seen people wasting themself with sports
    Wow. What a hilariously ignorant statement.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by KaliVoid View Post
    well... we cant all be professional athletes ,
    different ages ,life styles ,limitation ,etc...
    I was actually basing that on recommended physical activity levels for the general population
    As you say though, intensity influences one's idea of how long should be spent exercising.

i know that Insulin resistance have something to do with muscle cells but i didnt know physical workout can influence it ,nice to hear .
    If you'd like more information and don't mind the technical stuff, the American College of Sports Medicine has a detailed summary report available - http://www.ms-se.com/pt/re/msse/posi...195629!8091!-1
    See June 2000

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm the kind of person that needs physical activity on a regular basis or I go crazy. Usually work takes care of that for me: I walk ~8 km per day, going to and from jobsites and usually with a few kilos of books in my backpack. Not much, I know, but it's enough for me to say that I'm not sedentary.

In addition to work I do other stuff. As my schedule permits (usually three times a week) I spend 1-1 1/2 hours lifting weights (I have a bar and some weight at home), frequently while online (do some reps, click the link, do some reps, read the page, do some more reps, scroll down, etc.). When I have both time and good weather (two or three times a week) I run 6-8 km on the beach.

I guess I could say I'm healthy. Other than a couple of cases of food poisoning (you'd think I'd have learned by now...) I haven't had so much as a cold for over 15 years

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    Wow. What a hilariously ignorant statement.
    Not so hilarious, not so ignorant. Anything done obsessively can become harmful. People do die suddenly due to various systemic stresses created from over-exertion. Exercise is crucial - but like most things, moderation and intelligent decisions about your body are key.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567