Thread: RAM query

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

RAM query

I have recently upgraded my pc and installed a 3gb (800) ram. however since i didnt want to throw away my previous 667 1gb ram, i'm still using it along with the 2gb. is this harmful? (using two RAMs of different speeds?)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: RAM query

It'll run, but it will run at 667 speeds.

Beans

What offers the best general performance: speed of RAM or quantity of RAM? Should he remove the older RAM?

Beans

Somebody must know?

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, how much memory are you using? If you're only using a few hundred megs of memory than the faster speed is better, assuming your motherboard supports it. If you're using a lot of memory than the more the better. I'm running 4 gigs at 667 in my laptop because I multi task a lot and that's what it maxes out at. However at the moment I'm only using 350 mb of memory.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Gosport View Post
    What offers the best general performance: speed of RAM or quantity of RAM? Should he remove the older RAM?
    Here, the difference between 667 and 800 is not so great. How fast is the bus on your motherboard?

For most tasks, the amount of ram is more important than the speed. This is because the limiting factor is usually other things like drive access. For example, you won't notice your computer booting in less time if you switched from 667 to 800 Mhz ram (keeping the same amount of ram).
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?