Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Get RTL8187B (ID: 8197) Working. Step by Step

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Get RTL8187B (ID: 8197) Working. Step by Step

*reads whole thread* ahh, that may be why the 64bit version of 8.10 might not be working -_- *downloads 32bit 8.10*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by godfromdfo View Post
    *reads whole thread* ahh, that may be why the 64bit version of 8.10 might not be working -_- *downloads 32bit 8.10*

HP Pavilion DV3505ea Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS - Intel 5100AGN Wireless

Beans

I tried this but no help.
    After this the system didnot shut down properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Some launchpad bug reports:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/293946

And the most interesting one:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/182473

It states there is a fix schedualed shortly in a new kernel. Fingers crossed.
    A computer is only as powerful as the user who uses it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I found that network keys are case sensitive when setting up wireless for my ps3

Beans

Preface: I'm a complete Linux noobie.

After spending about 12 hours over the last few days trying to get this to work, I'm a bit bummed out.

I've looked at every thread here regarding this issue and at this point I have tried about 8 different methods with no success. Certain methods have allowed me to connect, but I lose connection anywhere from 5-120 minutes. After a reboot, it works again and then stops working after a while.

I'm using the latest kernel in 8.10. I have Ndiswrapper and it does not work. I've tried the modified drivers that were recommended in a tutorial on this forum. Upon trying to "sudo ./wlan0up", I get the following errors:

Code:
    insmod: can't read 'ieee80211_crypt-rtl.ko': No such file or directory
    insmod: can't read 'ieee80211_crypt_wep-rtl.ko': No such file or directory
    insmod: can't read 'ieee80211_crypt_tkip-rtl.ko': No such file or directory
    insmod: can't read 'ieee80211_crypt_ccmp-rtl.ko': No such file or directory
    insmod: can't read 'ieee80211-rtl.ko': No such file or directory
    insmod: can't read 'r8187.ko': No such file or directory
    I'm at a loss with how to get this nic working and it's driving me crazy. At this point, I'd be happy to revert to the time when it actually worked, but required rebooting every 20 minutes or so (sometimes less, sometimes more). I have no idea how to do this though as I'm a noob.

Any help regarding this problem would be more than greatly appreciated. I hate having to use XP because I can't get online in Ubuntu.

Beans

Ok, so I found another suggestion on a Suse board about using wireless-compat package. I didn't see this in my repositories, so I didn't feel comfortable installing it. I'm a noob and trying to rebuild the kernel, well, I don't think I'm there yet.

Anyhow, it talked about using modprobe %driver-name%. I had tried this before and it always said could not find it. I just tried it again, after doing what was described in my last post, and it worked! It took about 20 seconds and then connected. (we'll see if it holds, but at least it is working for now) I'm not sure what exactly it did though. I used
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rtl8187
    from within the modified driver directory as su. Does this mean it loaded the modified driver, or since I was su is it possible that it loaded the original driver that came with my build from some other location? In other words, does modprobe work directory specific?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

BUMP

The wireless lan Realtek 8187 (ID 0bda:8187) in Ubuntu makes me mad.
    I have searched this forum and started threads about this issue nearly everyday this two weeks but still can't find a solution.

And now I find this thread. I will try your method to fix the bit rate to 5.5Mb/s soon and see if it helps.

Currently I am using ndiswrapper with win 98 drivers. The problem of ndiswrapper with win 98 drivers is the unacceptable weak signal strength. The connection is broken if distance from the router to the notebook is more than 3 metres, making the wlan completely useless to me.

It teaches me a great lesson of checking compatibility with linux before buying any hardwares.
    Ubuntu 7.10 on P4 1.8G and PIII 933mHz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had tried the speed limiting that is recommended at the very beginning of this thread with some success. It definitely reduced the frequency of my internet hanging. However, today after reading another thread I uninstalled Network Manager and installed Wicd. I know it hasn't yet been 24 hours but already I am noticing that the speed of my internet is much more stable and I haven't yet had to once do a restart!
    Perhaps this is a step that can help some of you?
    Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi, did you do some stress test such as P2P, bittorrent, samba, etc for it?
    And did you do the range test for signal strength?

I am using Wicd too. The network manager doesn't work well for me.
    When it is using the native driver, the connection will hang within 2 minutes while bittorrenting. I am going to try the method from OP to chop down the bit rate to 5.5mb/s.
    Ubuntu 7.10 on P4 1.8G and PIII 933mHz

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast