Thread: HOWTO: Get RTL8187B (ID: 8197) Working. Step by Step

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HOWTO: Get RTL8187B (ID: 8197) Working. Step by Step

My Friends laptop is having issues....

Using 8.10, have previously applied the
    iwconfig wlan0 rate 5.5M fixed
    to /etc/rc.local and it did the job. However, on the 2.6.27-11 kernel that fix has no affect, and it won't connection to the net after random time between 5 and 20 mins (although network manager says connected with no problems) - only rebooting machine fixes it

Working fine on the 2.6.27-9 and -7 kernels, so having to boot on the -9 all the time. Obviously a worry as my friend is quite new to Ubuntu/linux, so having to explain why is quite a tough ask (trying to alter grub to pick a different default) - worry that 9.04 will manifest this problem as well.

Any body have any ideas...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Are you using the native rtl8187 driver or the ndiswrapper?
    Ubuntu 7.10 on P4 1.8G and PIII 933mHz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Hello dunnerz,

The Realtek Wireless card is a bitch, to put it bluntly.

To make the -9 default, Install a program called Startup-manager (something like that, can't remember of the to of my head). It is in Add/Remove and then go on it (System > Admin > Start...) and make the default kernel the one you want. Every time you boot, it will boot into that one

Also,
    I'm sure its fixed with the new kernel in Ubuntu 9.04 (I can't confirm because I bought a new laptop, came with a Intel Wireless card (yay)).

HP Pavilion DV3505ea Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS - Intel 5100AGN Wireless

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by afeasfaerw23231233 View Post
    Are you using the native rtl8187 driver or the ndiswrapper?
    Thanks for the reply.... Native driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom--d View Post
    Hello dunnerz,

The Realtek Wireless card is a bitch, to put it bluntly.

To make the -9 default, Install a program called Startup-manager (something like that, can't remember of the to of my head). It is in Add/Remove and then go on it (System > Admin > Start...) and make the default kernel the one you want. Every time you boot, it will boot into that one

Also,
    I'm sure its fixed with the new kernel in Ubuntu 9.04 (I can't confirm because I bought a new laptop, came with a Intel Wireless card (yay)).
    Hi,

Thanks for that - from the other searches, etc. it sound like most people are not having fun with this card (so I was quite happy with the original fix). Didn't know about startup manager, instead I cheated and commented out the other kernel in menu.lst, but this sounds like a much better method ! (learn something new everyday!)

I was hoping it was fixed in 9.04... think when it comes out I'll bite the bullet and upgrade it and hope that it fixes it (and if it doesn't, then I'll be trawling every page to find a solution!)

Thanks,
    dunnerz.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dunnerz View Post
    Thanks for the reply.... Native driver.

Hi,

Thanks for that - from the other searches, etc. it sound like most people are not having fun with this card (so I was quite happy with the original fix). Didn't know about startup manager, instead I cheated and commented out the other kernel in menu.lst, but this sounds like a much better method ! (learn something new everyday!)

I was hoping it was fixed in 9.04... think when it comes out I'll bite the bullet and upgrade it and hope that it fixes it (and if it doesn't, then I'll be trawling every page to find a solution!)

Thanks,
    dunnerz.
    Try the Ubuntu 9.04 Beta, its stable (for me). See if it works then.
    There is always a way to get it to work Just don't give up.

HP Pavilion DV3505ea Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS - Intel 5100AGN Wireless

Beans

hi,

i have 9.04 beta. it still hasn't been fixed. i still have to use iwconfig wlan0 rate 5.5M fixed to get it to work. and it sucks, because i have 10mbits at home and my laptop is locked at 5.5. i can't download stuff from the internet because it disconnects after a while. hope it'll be fixed in the final 9.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by migalhasm View Post
    hi,

i have 9.04 beta. it still hasn't been fixed. i still have to use iwconfig wlan0 rate 5.5M fixed to get it to work. and it sucks, because i have 10mbits at home and my laptop is locked at 5.5. i can't download stuff from the internet because it disconnects after a while. hope it'll be fixed in the final 9.04
    Sorry to hear that.
    Maybe try with the newest kernel? and compile it?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tom--d View Post
    Try the Ubuntu 9.04 Beta, its stable (for me). See if it works then.
    There is always a way to get it to work Just don't give up.
    I won't give up - but being a friends laptop, I only get a chance to play with it occasionally (if it was my own, I wouldn't stop until resolved!) - so after quick fixes. My friend - being quite new to Ubuntu might struggle with the Beta, but as soon as it's a finial, I will upgrade it.....however......

Quote Originally Posted by migalhasm View Post
    hi,

If that fix doesn't work (have you added to /etc/rc.local ?), sounds like that 9.04 has the same issues as 8.10, 2.6.27-11 kernel (i.e. even after applying the fix, it still times out)?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dunnerz View Post
    I won't give up - but being a friends laptop, I only get a chance to play with it occasionally (if it was my own, I wouldn't stop until resolved!) - so after quick fixes. My friend - being quite new to Ubuntu might struggle with the Beta, but as soon as it's a finial, I will upgrade it.....however......

If that fix doesn't work (have you added to /etc/rc.local ?), sounds like that 9.04 has the same issues as 8.10, 2.6.27-11 kernel (i.e. even after applying the fix, it still times out)?

"new, much cleaner, rate control API "
    That is in the new Kernel, 2.6.29
    Basically this means (In theory) that all the problems with the wireless card will "disappear".

There is a way of updating all the wireless drivers in any Ubuntu release (Inculding the driver for the Wireless Card ) to the lastest version (From Kernel 2.6.29)

This is how:

Download the package here: http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...ss-2.6.tar.bz2

And extract it.

Then:
    (In Terminal)
    Code:
    cd /home/username/Desktop/compact-wireless etc
    Code:
    make
    Code:
    sudo make install
    Reboot!

Hope it fixes the problems.
    (If wireless doesn't work at first, just, in termainl, run this command:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rtl8187
    Then wireless should work.
    (If it does, stick that code (without sudo) in /etc/rc.local)

Beans
    Distro

Tom--d,

Brilliant - thanks for your help.

I will give that a go at the weekend (when I see my Friend)

Thanks.

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast