Thread: G3 laptop and a wireless NIC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question G3 laptop and a wireless NIC

Hi all

I have got a G3 laptop running Ubuntu 6.04. its all working fine. Now what i would like to do it get it running wireless...............

I have got a onboard NIC and that works fine. It also has 2 x USB and a Firewire ports. (nice little old mac). Being that it is a Apple Mac do i need to get a "Air Card" for it or can i get away with a USB (cheaper) wireless NIC.

As you can guess im not much up on Apple hardware, and the apple site are just not worth even telling them what i have done as they have been no help what-so-ever in the past
    Many thanks for your time in this matter

Keith

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: G3 laptop and a wireless NIC

Hi and Good Job restoring an old G3 to working order!

I used to mess w/ PPC 'buntu in the past as well. Unfortunately, one of the caveats is that you won't be able to use Ndiswrapper for your wifi, since your PPC and not x86...This can be troublesome, so you'll need to do some research and find a solid card that works "out the box,". I am not certain on this, but I believe that some Realtek (Maybe Ralink???) cards are supported...again, it will be easier to buy a NIC that costs an extra $20 bucks that works immediately, than trying to figure something else out...

Yellow Dog Linux may have better support in that manner than a 'buntu, but once you find a working card, any distro should be simple...

Good Luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: G3 laptop and a wireless NIC

thanks for getting back.

I was hoping that was the case but wasn't sure if i was right in thinking that way.....

Thank you very much.
    Many thanks for your time in this matter

Keith