Thread: Saving Gnome terminal sessions

Beans

Saving Gnome terminal sessions

Hello

I have a general question i hope someone can answer for me. I am using default gnome login on Ubuntu 8.0.4 and i have set up 8 workspaces. In each workspace i have approx 5 or 6 Terminal sessions open (ssh or telnet sessions to different servers) so approx 40 terminals open across all workspaces when logged in.

My question is, if i reboot (or pc gets powered off accidentally) i will lose all these terminal windows and have to start them all again - is there a way that i could either....

a) save my current session so that if i reboot it will remember to open terminal windows in each workspace as i had before (but not logged into each server)

or

b) even better (but probably will involve some kind of scripting?) have the same above - but will actually log into each server as well on startup.

I seem to remember getting something like this working years ago on another distribution but using KDE. Would be cool if i could get this working in Gnome.

Any suggestions gladly accepted

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Saving Gnome terminal sessions

System, Preferences, Sessions, Session Options has an option to save sessions when loggging out. I don't know if it will do all you are asking of it but it's worth trying.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    System, Preferences, Sessions, Session Options has an option to save sessions when loggging out. I don't know if it will do all you are asking of it but it's worth trying.
    Hey thanks allot for that - is very useful as can also remember all application that are running as well.

In fact i was being stupid. I just done a reboot and it remembered my terminal sessions. I think when i done it before - it had crashed due to a driver issues. Its now fine. The autologins would be good on each terminal so i will have to play around find a way but still if anyone knows pls advise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You could set up automatic login through ssh by following the directions at

http://www.bluegum.com/Software/ssh-auth.html

You can also make a script that can be run at login that will launch a whole bunch of terminals:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    gnome-terminal --geometry 100x10+200+20 --command="ssh me@localhost" &
    gnome-terminal --geometry 100x10+200+220 --command="ssh minime@localhost" &
    gnome-terminal --geometry 100x10+200+420 --command="ssh you2@localhost" &
    To get the terminals displayed in the right workspace is the job of your window manager (e.g. metacity, fvwm, etc.) or maybe Gnome. I only know how to do this through fvwm. Maybe someone here (or you) will figure out how to do it through Gnome.