Thread: DeVeDe outputs wrong aspect ratio

Beans

DeVeDe outputs wrong aspect ratio

I'm trying to author a PAL DVD with DeVeDe:

I've made compliant MPEG files using ffmpeg. So far so good, the input and output files are both in 4:3 aspect ratio.

Next, I load the files in DeVeDe and tick the box "This file is already a DVD/xCD-suitable MPEG-PS file". DeVeDe opens the file and correctly reports the PAL resolution, and 4:3 aspect ratio.

BUT, if I let DeVeDe generate the DVD, the output video is in 16:9 aspect ratio! In other words, the video gets stretched horizontally.

Very strange...

Does someone know a solution? I do not want DeVeDe to transcode my files, because I get A/V sync problems on one of the videos if I do so.

[EDIT]
    Ok, I solved the problem. It turns out that I have to add "-aspect 4:3" explicitly to the ffmpeg command line. This changes nothing to the video, but apparently ffmpeg sets some sort of flag which makes DeVeDe output the correct aspect ratio!
    [/EDIT]
    Last edited by bug80; May 12th, 2008 at 11:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: DeVeDe outputs wrong aspect ratio

It does it to me, I dunno why. My solution (yes, a long way):

Uncheck the box Remove temporary files when creating the DVD. I cannot remember the literal words. I'm in a computer without devede

Edit the .xml file. Go to where the aspect ratio is. Change it to 4:3. Then do

Code:
    dvdauthor -x filename.xml -o dvdfolder
    Now make the iso file

Code:
    mkisofs -dvd-video -V My_DVD -o dvd.iso dvdfolder/
    Burn dvd.iso

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by didac View Post
    It does it to me, I dunno why. My solution (yes, a long way):

Uncheck the box Remove temporary files when creating the DVD. I cannot remember the literal words. I'm in a computer without devede

Edit the .xml file. Go to where the aspect ratio is. Change it to 4:3. Then do

Code:
    dvdauthor -x filename.xml -o dvdfolder
    Now make the iso file

Code:
    mkisofs -dvd-video -V My_DVD -o dvd.iso dvdfolder/
    Burn dvd.iso
    Thanks for your reply! I solved the problem though, see my edit in the opening post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for your edit. By trying to help you, you helped me to solve my own problem. Now I know why it happened to me