Thread: How do I st it so that when I click on the desktop, the desktop come forward

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How do I st it so that when I click on the desktop, the desktop come forward

Do I even need a message? I just want to click on my desktop background, and it have the same effect as ctrl+alt+D (which for me, moves my windows to the side, so that I can see my desktop.)
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How do I st it so that when I click on the desktop, the desktop come forward

Quote Originally Posted by barbedsaber View Post
    Do I even need a message? I just want to click on my desktop background, and it have the same effect as ctrl+alt+D (which for me, moves my windows to the side, so that I can see my desktop.)
    Not quite what you are looking for, but you might like my solution...

I use the Compiz Scale plugin, with a shortcut that activates it when I move my mouse pointer to the bottom left corner. This is a very quick action (especially on a touchpad).

With Scale, you can click on any of the windows to bring it to the front, or (as in your case), if you click on the desktop, it minimizes all the windows to leave the desktop visible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I st it so that when I click on the desktop, the desktop come forward

I have scale already, and the clicking on windows to give them focus works with windows, but not the desktop.

EDIT: and, I dont want it to minimize all the windows, I want it to activate the compiz "show desktop" plugin.
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you right click on the top panel, select Add to Panel, you can select Show Desktop, which will add an icon that will show the Desktop by clicking on the icon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My Scale seems to activate the Show Desktop plugin if I click on the desktop, whether I enable Scale with the mouse or keyboard.

I've tested it with Show Desktop (which I don't use) too.

Not sure why yours doesn't.

Only problem is "unshowing" the desktop, which requires a click on the panel Show Desktop shortcut.