Thread: Can't explore file system anymore

Beans

Can't explore file system anymore

Hi everyone,
    i have posted my problem in the absolute beginner section before (here).Now i think it's time to post my issue in a more specific forum section.

As you can see from my last post,part of my problem has been resolved (thanks to N.N.),but it seems i'm continuing to have issues...
    I can see all the desktop and panel icons,i can click them,but when i do that the system hungs,until it informs me that the window browser is not responding and i have to "force quit" it...
    After that,i'm not able to do anything (even to log out properly).

As suggested by N.N. i created a new user:using this new user,things work properly.So i could use this new user,but i would like to know how to fix my original user's environment...

Can you please help?

Beans

Re: Can't explore file system anymore

Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

which version of Ubuntu are you running?
    after you installed Ubuntu, did you download/install any graphics card drivers?
    which graphics card do you have?
    did this start happening right after you installed ubuntu?

Beans

I'm running 8.04,which i've upgraded from 7.10.
    When i had 7.10 on,i had installed Envy,so it's not a recent update.
    My graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon (i think an HD2600,but i'm not 100% sure ,cause i'm not at my laptop right now).

I exclude that the problem is due to the Hardy upgrade,since i did it like 2 weeks ago.The last day the laptop was working i hadnt touch anything clearly related to graphics,but i played a bit with samba (i wanted to learn more about it),modifying some stuff.

Just an additional info:during various attempts to fix xserver,i noticed that the system warns me about the modprobe.d file,saying something like "items blacklisted wil be ignored".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Envy in 7.xx is quite different from the Envy in 8.04...
    Maybe you installed xgl-xserver?
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Beans

Well,i didn't explicitly install xgl-xserver (but i don't remember if i installed it as a required dependency).

Maybe,then,i should upgrade to the new version of Envy?
    What sounds strange,though,is that i have this problem not immediately after the 8.04 upgrade.Maybe some related update caused that? (i remember that during the last "working" session i did some upgrade)