Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] KPPP problems...

Beans

[SOLVED] KPPP problems...

Hi...

I installed a copy of Kubuntu 6.06 on spare system I have and am having problems getting KPPP to do anything.

I have two modems installed on the system, one internal and the other, external. I very much doubt that the internal is supported out of the box, hence my installation of the external.

When I first ran KPPP, it complained about not having the /etc/resolv.conf file. I took care of that. However, it cannot open my external modem....it doesn't even try to look for it! When I tried Ubuntu 6.06, it worked fine.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about fixing this? This is an older system, so the 7th and 8th releases are out of the question. I'm surprised 6.06 works as well as it does.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: KPPP problems...

Could you post the model of your external modem? The internal is likely a winmodem, if it is, it may never work reliably under linux. The external probaly requires a driver, also, many tend to have two modes of operation...data/modem.
    Have you downloaded scanModem? You should run that and read the output file. There are two files in particular...the names of which I can't remember, but the instructions for scanModem will tell you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spiderbatdad View Post
    Could you post the model of your external modem? The internal is likely a winmodem, if it is, it may never work reliably under linux. The external probaly requires a driver, also, many tend to have two modes of operation...data/modem.
    Have you downloaded scanModem? You should run that and read the output file. There are two files in particular...the names of which I can't remember, but the instructions for scanModem will tell you.
    Hi...

The external is a U.S. Robotics 56k Sportster. The internal is indeed a winmodem, with a Conexant chipset.

I don't have a way of getting scanModem onto the Kubuntu system.

Thanks...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

US Robotics is supossed to provide excellent linux support. I will see if I can find a driver for you. If it is small enough I will upload it. Can you copy to a usb stick and transfer the files?

Beans

Hi...

I really don't believe this is a problem with my modem as it worked fine with Ubuntu. What I am seeing is that KPPP is not even trying or is able to look for the modem to begin with.

Thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ardvark71 View Post
    Hi...

I installed a copy of Kubuntu 6.06 on spare system I have and am having problems getting KPPP to do anything.
    Same type of thing, here, back in 2006 or 2007, when I used to have POTS. (56k)

Before I gotten DSL, I decided to try KPPP after installing Kubuntu 6.06.
    But, hold it! I noticed that I was ALWAYS getting disconnected right after it was done dialing and handshaking.

Also, the message about the PPP daemon dying unexpectedly and the KPPP log was complaining about some "secret password" nonsense, obviously authentication problems.

I finally gotten DSL on May 17 of last year.
    Acer Aspire M5630: 1 GB Kingston PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM dual channel (2x512 MB), Core 2 Duo E2180 (2.0 Ghz), Intel i915

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

The bug report below may be the key. You might be missing the directory needed by kppp. Read the whole report.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ols/+bug/22119

Beans

The bug report below may be the key. You might be missing the directory needed by kppp. Read the whole report.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ols/+bug/22119
    Hi...

Thank you but I didn't see the directory you mentioned. Also, this was for gnome.

I don't have a working knowledge of commands for Kubuntu. I know a bit for Ubuntu, as I had it installed on my personal system for a few months.

Thanks...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

using gksu nautilus is an easy way to graphically edit your system config files, like wvdial.conf, and to make directories. When you have any missing directories added. try running sudo wvdialconf again, the edit /etc/wvdial.conf to contain the correct info. You can launch wvdial from the terminal by running sudo wvdial. Also kppp uses wvdial.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

US Robotics is supossed to provide excellent linux support. I will see if I can find a driver for you. If it is small enough I will upload it. Can you copy to a usb stick and transfer the files?
    Yep, but I found a new problem before getting DSL, you will always get hanged up on with the 5686s. Thus, impossible to access the internet.

Stay away from US Robotics 5686 modems!
    Acer Aspire M5630: 1 GB Kingston PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM dual channel (2x512 MB), Core 2 Duo E2180 (2.0 Ghz), Intel i915

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast