Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't connect to Linksys WUSB54GSC adapter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't connect to Linksys WUSB54GSC adapter

Ok, is the first thing I type : Set\IP\ address rt73-k2, etc?
    Dell XPS M1530,Intel Core 2 Duo T5850
    128 GB SSD,4GB Ram
    Nvidia 8600M GT, 177.80 Driver
    Intel Wireless Wifi link 4965agn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Morty007 View Post
    Ok, is the first thing I type : Set\IP\ address rt73-k2, etc?
    Sorry for the lateness I was watching a move and for got to check.

I don't know what you are talking about really....

Did the driver install and set up go well?

Are you now trying to connect to your WEP?

OR what have you done and what are you doing now elaborate.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well I seem to have had more success just fooling around on my own so far. (That's not meant to be mean, btw.) I just don't know what to do with that video.

I messed around with the network settings and at least now the 2 computer icons up top are "on" but still no internet. Below is what I have now. I put in my WEP key and all that jazz.

Its a shame that this has to be so painful. I think I just need to be told what code to put in here, line by line.

128 GB SSD,4GB Ram

Beans
    Distro

sorry for not keeping up with you... Normally I am responding to the min.

It looks to me that you still don't have your wireless adapter on or the drivers installed. You should see a wireless adapter in that GUI.

I'll watch the video and try to be more help full now.

could you run these commands in the terminal and post what it says.

ifconfig -a

and then

iwconfig
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro

Ok plug in the usb adapter and follow this...and downlad the driver form here

http://homepages.tu-darmstadt.de/~p_...-2.0.1.tar.bz2

Make a new folder "Documents" and name it "Wdriver" then cut and past the driver file that you downloaded to this file.
    Then run this comand-

sudo modprobe -r rt73

Then run this to open the folder-

cd ~/Documents/Wdriver

Then run these to install the drivers-

sudo tar -xf rt73-k2wlz-2.0.1.tar.bz2

cd rt73-k2wrlz-2.0.1

cd Module/ ((OR maybe just)) cd Module

(("mite" need to run sudo configure first))

sudo make

sudo make install

Then unplug the adapter and plug it back in
    Then run this comand

ifconfig rausb0 up

Should all work grate now Let me know I will keep refrshing the page to keep up with you now.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; May 12th, 2008 at 05:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I do the first line and then it asks me for my password but when I type nothing comes in the terminal. I type anyway and hit enter and I get a fatal error.

Can anyone help with this? I'm dying to get online and get this thing up and running.

This is so frustrating.
    128 GB SSD,4GB Ram

Beans
    Distro

When you type your password in a shell no feed back is given, this is normal. You got the error because he rt73 driver are not installed on you system that is fine just keep going on the steps. Look for errors when you do the "make" and "make install" commands. If you get an error when you "make" then try the "configure" command and "make again.

Beans
    Distro

OK,
    I just called linksys about the addapter. After a long and frutless talk to some laddy who didn't know anything............. I called back and got an Indian guy who new what was up.

I was asking what chip set was used in the WUSB54GSC and if it was the same chip set in the WUSB54GC. The lady didn't know what a chip set was but she did tell me that the difference between the two adapters was the the WUSB54GSC had speed boost and WUSB54GC did not. I asked what was different between the two adapters that enabled speed boost "Is there a change in hardware or is it just a change in the firmware?" She didn't know and told me to call customer service even though she was in consumer service. I called consumer service back and got the Indian guy. I asked him what was the difference between the WUSB54GC and WUSB54GSC that creates the ability of speed boost. He told me there is no difference in hardware it is merely a different firmware. I then asked if the same drivers could be used he told me no. I asked if the rt73 enhanced drivers that worked for the WUSB54GC would still work for the WUSB54GSC. He told me no. But give them a shot I want to know for sure. They mite still work....

This was still a fruitful call though. This means that you could buy the cheaper WUSB54GC and flash the firmware with the WUSB54GSC firmware and then you would have speed boost. Kind of cool.

Beans
    Distro

I just found a HOW TO written by diepruis that seem vary complete. If you have problems let me know. I will help you But also have a look at this HOW TO. A lot of it is making sure you have all the thing you need to compile make and install driver and not so much about installing the driver. So, it may look a lot more complicated then it is.

HOWEVER,I didn't do any thing more then what I put in my how to.
    SO, maybe not bother reading and confusing yourself this his HOW TO.

Just let me know if you have problems. Also, I see you downloaded the 2.0.1 driver and not the 3.0 driver. Download the 3.0.0 driver and install that one instead.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=400236

I hope the drivers work for you but I bet there is just another diver you need if this one doesn't work. I will keep looking.

They let you do:

RaLink RT73 USB Enhanced Driver
    * Support for Fragmentation Attack
    * Interface is called rausb0 instead of wlan0 to prevent some tools incorrectly detecting it as wlanng or hostap driver
    * Injection speed can be selected with iwconfig <interface> rate command. The default speed yet is 54 MBit. You may want to lower it to 1 MBit before injection with iwconfig rausb0 rate 1M
    * NEW: ToDS packets aren't dropped by the driver anymore. WPA handshake captures are finally possible!
    IMPORTANT!
    Version 3.0.0 is a new fork from the current serialmonkey CVS. It has fixes for 2.6.24 and 2.6.25 and does not need setting a MAC Address before bringing the interface up. This version includes all the enhancement of the 2.0 series of this driver. If you unplug the card while its still in use, it may crash your system. So close all applications accessing it, bring the interface down and then remove the device.
    IMPROVEMENT!
    There is a tiny extra in the 3.0.0 driver. Maybe you can find it with iwpriv
    Last edited by HunterThomson; May 13th, 2008 at 09:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro

There is a good chance that you will have to use ndswrapper for the windows 32 bit driver. Are you running 32bit Ubuntu 64bit ubuntu?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast