Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Specific URL kills X

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Specific URL kills X

I have no idea what's causing this, but when I try to go to a specific URL in FireFox, X restarts (just as if I'd hit CTRL-ALT-Backspace). All I can guess is that there's something on the page that's causing FireFox to panic and the problem is bubbling all the way up to Gnome. Here's the Details

OS: Ubuntu 8.04 (clean install a couple weeks ago and all updates applied)

Browser String: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008050509 Firefox/3.0b5

URL: http://whynotwiki.com/Rails <-- ** DO NOT CLICK UNLESS YOU'RE PREPARED FOR THE CONSEQUENCES DESCRIBED ABOVE! **

Anybody care to volunteer to try and confirm if this is just me or if it happens to you too?

Beans

Re: Specific URL kills X

Quote Originally Posted by jsgarvin View Post
    I have no idea what's causing this, but when I try to go to a specific URL in FireFox, X restarts (just as if I'd hit CTRL-ALT-Backspace). All I can guess is that there's something on the page that's causing FireFox to panic and the problem is bubbling all the way up to Gnome. Here's the Details

OS: Ubuntu 8.04 (clean install a couple weeks ago and all updates applied)

Browser String: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008050509 Firefox/3.0b5

URL: http://whynotwiki.com/Rails <-- ** DO NOT CLICK UNLESS YOU'RE PREPARED FOR THE CONSEQUENCES DESCRIBED ABOVE! **

Anybody care to volunteer to try and confirm if this is just me or if it happens to you too?
    Doesn't happen to me with iceweasel.
    Brian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It opens okay in Firefox 2.0.0.14 but it sends my cpu up to 100%. It seems to automatically start a program called whiptail which then continues and hogs the cpu, even after I kill Firefox (PS: only did this the first time I opened it).

Also opens okay in Opera 9.25 but hogs the cpu for about 30 seconds.

Several forum sites occasionally and temporarily hog my cpu, include certain pages on Ubuntu Forums. I don't know why. It is less of a problem in Opera. Does anyone have suggestions?

Cheers, Pat.

PS: To answer Tyler, I have Adblock Plus 0.7.5.3 running. Disabling it does not reduce temporary hogging of the cpu.
    Last edited by Patb; May 11th, 2008 at 11:19 PM.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood! (Bumper sticker - Zimbabwe)
    To mark your thread solved, go to Thread Tools and select Mark this thread as solved

Beans

This isn't doing anything for me either, I'm running Firefox beta 3, 8.04, on a macbook. I'm not getting any CPU hogging, either.

Do you have any FF addons installed? Have you looked at other Mediawiki pages without this happening?
    Last edited by tylermoody; May 11th, 2008 at 11:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It ran my CPU usage up, but only breifly and locked up firefox like normal big pages do. I am running Arch Linux (2.6.24 Kernel).
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tylermoody View Post
    Do you have any FF addons installed? Have you looked at other Mediawiki pages without this happening?
    I do have several addons, and should have thought earlier that one of them might be the culprit. However, after disabling all of them (including the Ubuntu Modifications one) the same thing still happens. I also had the idea to disable Compiz and see if that had any effect (it didn't).

Yes, other mediawiki pages work fine for me, and I've never had any issue with unusually large pages before either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

no isses at all with ff3B5. the page took a moment to load but nothing ununusal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I tried it on my system (8.04 with FF 3.0b5) no problems cpu doesn't go over 5% overall. I also have compiz enabled with an nvidia card. Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

nothing unusual (ubuntu 8.4 firefox 3.0 b5 ) here too , it only takes sometime to load , I suggest you run firefox from terminal and see what you get .

I had have some issues similar to that before but then it was a flash problem
    Last edited by yussri; May 15th, 2008 at 12:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Nothing unusual here either (8.04 ff 3.0b5), it took ages to load though. CPU usage was small.

EDIT: It looks like this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...24/+bug/212648

Others experience:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=746777

Are you using nvidia graphics?
    Last edited by BlueSkyNIS; May 15th, 2008 at 01:25 PM.
    .___.___.__...__..___..__....__..__..
    |.__|.__|._\./__\|._.\/..\../..|/..\.
    |._||._||.v.|.\/.|.v././\.|.`7.|.//.|
    |_|.|___|__/.\__/|_|_\_||_|..|_|\__/.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast