Thread: [SOLVED] Ubuntu 7.04: Problem Copying files from Ubuntu to Windows XP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

[SOLVED] Ubuntu 7.04: Problem Copying files from Ubuntu to Windows XP

Please Help!

I am trying to copy a backup file (52Gb) in size from a folder on my desktop within Ubuntu to a slave hard disk on my computer which boots WinXP.

I messed up the settings in my previous install of Ubuntu 8.04 and unable to access the system. I have since reinstalled ubuntu 7.04 in order to gain access to 8.04's filesystem, so that I am able to back up my files prior to a clean install of kubuntu KDE4 (I intend formatting the whole disk for this). I tried other methods of backing up but they didn't work for me.

I now have 3 separate installs on my machine. Both 8.04 and 7.04 residing on the same disk but in different partitions i.e sda1 and sda3.

I created a backup image of my 8.04 home folder, but because of its large size i decided to copy the file across to my winxp disk which has ample space. I don't have an external disk for this task.

I cannot copy the file to windows using root permissions as it says the disk is read-only.
    It won't let me change the owner of the disk in /media either.

Any suggestion peeps?

I'm thinking maybe i should create a new partition on my current disk with just enough space to hold the file and format the rest of the disk for my fresh install of kubuntu that way i eventually might be able to import my backup file into kubuntu. Is there an easier way to the desired goal.

annda is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu 7.04: Problem Copying files from Ubuntu to Windows XP

writing to ntfs disk (the windows filesystem) is possible wthout installing any tools on hardy. feisty needs a special driver called ntfs-3g.

this guide has a lot of screenshots to illustrate the installation and configuration.

good luck!

PS. if you have enough disk space, creating a separate partition for backups is a good idea.
    Memo to self: "Someone's teaching, why don't you get taught?" (RUN DMC)
    --- registered Linux user #425843
    --- registered Ubuntu user #7354

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the link and avice. I will try it out and let you know how i got on. fingers crossed.

Beans
    Distro

Hey Aanda!
    Thanks for the tip. the driver was just the ticket. several hours gone since posting this thread and I am now enjoying my new found system.
    All problems solved at the moment.