Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Linux Actually better for Me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Is Linux Actually better for Me?

I have been toying with the idea of a Linux desktop for years, but now that I have been trying it for 2 weeks, I am uncertain as to what precisely is the draw, for me at least. I always thought I would be thrilled with it once I did it, but I am just not sure. I am trying to determine what precisely it is that I am gaining by switching to Ubuntu. I am unfortunately drawing the conclusion that I have not actually gained anything much and I about ready to switch back to Windows.

Realize that I was indeed expecting and HOPING that I would be very happy with it, but I'm not really thus far.

I have two PCs on my desktop presently:

1. A 3G single core machine with 512M RAM running Windows 2K
    2. A 2G dual core with 2G RAM running Ubuntu Gutsy

Windows Pros:

1. UltraEdit is an excellent editor and I know it well
    2. SQLyog is a fantastic MySQL GUI and I have not found an equal to it for Linux
    3. IrfanView is an excellent image view/simple editor
    4. Version 2.3 of FileZilla is actually better IMO than version 3. Only version 3 is available for Linux however

Ubuntu Pros:

1. It's Linux
    2. It's not MS
    3. I can customize my desktop and entire environment

Other issues:

As far as viruses, I have only gotten one in 9 years of using Windows. I don't use a MS mail client and I don't browse with IE (except for sites I myself built) and so for me personally, I don't think this is much of an issue. Some years I run anti-virus, some years not. I recall very few instances that an anti-virus actually caught a real virus anyhow.

A few other issues I am having:

1. I tried to open a large SQL dump in gedit and my PC choked on it--Quanta performed even worse. I opened it in UltraEdit in Windows with no problem whatsoever. Note that my Windows machine has a quarter the RAM as well. And the Ubuntu machine was using (according to the System Monitor) under 1G RAM at the time.

2. Seems to me that switching windows via clicking on the taskbar is faster in Windows

3. Overall it seems that Win 2K is faster than Ubuntu. Perhaps some empirical studies are necessary, but that's how it feels. Strikes me as odd, as well, because my Ubuntu machine's hardware is a lot better.

I tried Hardy, but I found it buggy. Perhaps because I used the 64 bit version. Anyway it didn't work well for me so I have Gutsy now. I have read now that Hardy may be faster.

I am not sure what to do now. My other tools I have found suitable replacements for in Linux, but I can't really think of any that I think are truly better.

Any feedback, thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

Beans

Re: Is Linux Actually better for Me?

Well you have to consider that now windows 2000 is past the point of no return, there is no more support for it officially and you are vulnerable to the wild world that MS has left you in.
    Its a shame too as windows 2000 is a great OS, perhaps the best out of the windows line.
    Ubuntu has a lot prepackaged, so no wonder why you have slowdown... but you can change this.
    Trust me you are better off with ubuntu, as once XP goes away there is the nightmare of Vista to deal with...
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Security update support for W2kPro will continue until April 2010.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Can't ultimately tell you which OS to use, but I am confident to say that ubuntu/linux is not for everyone - I love it, but I know many who would not bother using it. Hardy 32bit on my computer is much slicker than gutsy ever was and less buggy too- but I know, from this forum, that is not the case for everyone. I would encourage you to try a bit longer and may be try the 32 bit hardy - ultimately you may be someone who prefers M$. If so that's OK, at least you've tried and found out.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you prefer Windows - by all means use Windows Linux isn't for everybody. I only use it out of personal preference. I still have a couple of Windows machines too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    Security update support for W2kPro will continue until April 2010.
    yeh bout outside of that there isnt much going on for it...
    like I said its a shame, 2000 is my favorite windows OS, perhaps my favorite OS of all time.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Like Joeb454 said, Linux may not be right for you, use whatever OS works the best for you and allows you to work and compute the best.

Beans

hey if windows is what you really want, and you actually like it, then use it

this might just be my opinion but "i hate windows"

the only reason that windows has become as good as it is, would be because 90% of people with computers use it

if ubuntu had as much supported software and harware as windows, then windows would not even be worth the cd that it comes on!

windows may have the majority of supported harware and software but this is simply because most people use it.

that is because most computers have windows installed when you buy them, and its just easier, not because windows is actually better

therefore i try to convert everyone i can to linux, in hopes that one day the true best OS will be on top, rather than the OS that forces people to use it because everyone else does

windows would be nothing without all the people that blindly use it!

sry for the rambel but thats my two cents

Beans

From what I've seen ubuntu is good for people who only want to browse the internet or tech savvy nerds. People who are mid-range users usually are best left with Windows because they have needs above the average computer user, but lack the patience or skill to screw around with a Linux distro's settings or to just simply get used to doing things differently.

Things that keep me linux:

Free!
    Ubuntu is easy to install
    apt-get (or aptitude) is the most amazing utility ever
    Most open source software is easier to compile in my experience in linux
    Free software out the ***
    compiz fusion is pretty and only requires 20 mb of ram
    Don't have to install irritating anti-virus software

Also, you can run ultra edit in ubuntu if you install wine. From what the web site says, it runs very well.

Beans

Hard to say what is actually "better". As others have said, it depends on the job you have to do.

I have to use Windows at work. I imagine this is the case for most people. However, I use both Windows and Ubuntu at home for web design projects.

I like the independence, the philosophy, the knowledge gained from using Ubuntu. Also, I like the fact that of the four computers in my house, two of them are former junkers that have been given minor makeovers, loaded with Ubuntu, and now do everything asked of them without a hiccup!

At this point, Ubuntu may not be able to carry out some of the tasks users (enterprise users, especially) may require. That doesn't mean it won't.

I echo the others -- keep at it. Use Ubuntu for what you can. Use Windows for whatever else. Each have their strengths. However, I feel Ubuntu is gaining.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast