Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Linux Actually better for Me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Is Linux Actually better for Me?

Quote Originally Posted by rubinboy View Post
    Why not mythbuntu?
    PIII 800mhz, 256mb RAM, USB soundcard and wireless adapter and only ever used for music playback through hi-fi amp and speakers, nothing else.

In time it will probably be replaced by a PS3 or a Mac Mini, but for now W2kPro is the ideal solution for this hardware.

Beans

There are two types of OS users, those who could not care less about what it was as long as it worked for office tasks and surfing the web, and the other smaller community that feels that is it a philosophical statement of principle.
    The real question assuming you are the first type, is what needs to get done and what applications you prefer to do it with.
    Windows 2000 will do fine for a long time to come and it has drivers for your hardware. There is little doubt it was the best Windows, stable, boots fast, relatively easy on resources. If your machine and Ubuntu are a good match it will be stable, have a good selection of installed applications and much lower in resource demands than XP or Vista. If it does not have the software you want to use, and it does not appear in a Linux version all the talk of which is best is a waste of time, For me there is only one software package I am stuck without a Linux version, CodeCharge Studio, otherwise Ubuntu 8.04 would be all I need. Why not use both, set up dual boot and use Windows for applications where there is no alternatives and une Ubuntu to learn more about the world of Linux?

Good luck in deciding...
    Stan
    St Petersburg Russia/San Francisco

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

How can an OS with a faster and more snappy GUI loose the #1 share in desktop market? X/GNOME/METACITY is slow. I can accept it, but I would like to see it become faster.
    Since Warty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Perhaps the Dev's will do this in future, but I think that if you want a lighter DE, then you should look into something like Fluxbox or any of the *box's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123