Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is going on over at Amazon.com?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What is going on over at Amazon.com?

Amazon releases its own Android app store, now it is offering 5GB of free media storage much like Ubuntu One, Amazon is giving prime members access to Netflix like services for an overall cost that is lower than Netflix.

I for one love the services they have been offering up so for the most part. Moving to Linux meant I gave up iTunes, and Amazon's MP3 services really filled that need, and even more so when Banshee added the built in access. I even watch rentals from them through Firefox on my HDTV because its the only decent option since Netflix doesn't stream new rentals (or to Linux) and my cable company charges $2 more for rentals. I think Amazon's library plus Google's popular software could make a very popular device.

Anyone else think they are on the cusp of releasing an Android powered tablet or even a Amazon/Android phone. Think about it. The company made it's own e-reader, and made it a app for android devices. I can't see another reason for launching so many new services so quickly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: What is going on over at Amazon.com?

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    Anyone else think they are on the cusp of releasing an Android powered tablet
    Pretty much everyone watching the tablet market, yes. The release of the Android app store has got them all in a froth.

Beans

Kindle color's gonna blow the Nook Color away, and I will be one of the first in-line to buy it.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    Kindle color's gonna blow the Nook Color away, and I will be one of the first in-line to buy it.
    I don't think I'd trade my kindle for a colour kindle, but that's because I only read plain books. Damn good bit of kit, kindles; if Amazon released a tablet, they'd have the reputation to push it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It would definitely help for them to offer an Android-powered tablet. I downloaded their Amazon Appstore just to get Angry Birds Rio, but to be honest it's kind of annoying to use on a regular Android phone, because you have to approve a third-party app installation with every app you decide to install. The integration isn't good.

They've already established themselves as able to sell hardware (the Kindle, even though I hate it, is very successful), so I think they should go for it.

By the way, it'd be even better if their Cloud Music service had smart playlists and not just static ones.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Has anyone been able to get the Amazon Music Cloud uploader to work under wine? I was able to get it installed, but when I start it, all I get is the it saying 'loading' and won't actually start..
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wonder how Amazon's Cloud Drive with unlimited space for Music is going to work with Banshee's purchasing of music? Does it go into UbuntuOne, Amazon Cloud Drive or nowhere?
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower1970 View Post
    Has anyone been able to get the Amazon Music Cloud uploader to work under wine? I was able to get it installed, but when I start it, all I get is the it saying 'loading' and won't actually start..
    I just uploaded straight through the web browser.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I know this: they have great price deals on about everything. My wife got a protective cover for her phone for like $1.25.
    This was after I paid $12 for mine at the phone store! D'oh!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    I don't think I'd trade my kindle for a colour kindle, but that's because I only read plain books. Damn good bit of kit, kindles; if Amazon released a tablet, they'd have the reputation to push it.
    I would never trade my Kindle for anything, except maybe a nice car.

I would, however, buy a Kindle Color /Kindle Tablet to augment the awesome of my Kindle 3G.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast