Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, I was reading through the Linux pages on the GNU website...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: So, I was reading through the Linux pages on the GNU website...

Yeah I like linus view. I think I manage to use more close than open software on this ubuntu-only pc

Web browser: opera with flash plugin

All multimedia codecs installed

Nvidia restricted drivers

Lots of windows (long live wine!) and linux non-free games (savage 1, GTA: vice city, GTA: san andreas, uplink, ET:QW, regnum online, etc. etc. I do also play Nexuiz and battle for wesnoth a lot, and some other free blah blah blah fun software games).

Google earth, to see some funny places

Skype for internet telephony

virtualbox closed source edition (it has some features the open-source one doesn't have. I never use those features and don't even know what some of them are, but it's a good feeling they are there ) to play heretic 2 (yes, another closed-source commercial linux game, ported a few years back by loki software) in an ubuntu 7.10 VM

And I sincerely hope that Itunes will get a linux version.

When will the FSF finally release that 85% of linux users, see this poll made by me, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=790129 do not care about using closed-source or do it out of necesity, and stop their stupid campaign which is a huge wast of money

And now weren't some distro's such as suse going to have problem with their microsoft agreements if torvalds would down- eeehhh upgrade to GPL version 3 license? Something along the lines of not existing anymore because they wouldn't be allowed to distribute the linux kernel?

If they do and the fsf gets sued, I for one sincerely hope they lose

I have released some steam and am happy, so I will now press the submit button and go play savage 1

Also, this is the last thread I will post in about FLOSS (O it's FOSS, FLOSS is stuff to clean your teeth with in Dutch) because it's getting boring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When will the FSF finally release that 85% of linux users, see this poll made by me, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=790129 do not care about using closed-source or do it out of necesity, and stop their stupid campaign which is a huge wast of money
    Whether they care or not, doesn't matter, proprietary software is a danger vector and will always be, I cannot understand how some people are so proud that they use opera when there are a vast quantity of FOSS alternatives that are even superior in quality. It only shows they are bad at picking stuff.

Your conclussion s flawed anyways, the poll is just asking if you use it or not, not if you care. Besides, ubuntuforums is far from being a good random sample, and less than 100 guys voted, that's far from being a representative sample. Sorry.

And now weren't some distro's such as suse going to have problem with their microsoft agreements if torvalds would down- eeehhh upgrade to GPL version 3 license? Something along the lines of not existing anymore because they wouldn't be allowed to distribute the linux kernel?
    - Strawman
    - Linus has not upgraded to GPLv3
    - SLED remains a danger to freedom.

If they do and the fsf gets sued, I for one sincerely hope they lose
    I sincerely hope you stop being an ungrateful prick.
    Last edited by vexorian; May 11th, 2008 at 02:21 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I said "OR do it out of neccesity". You are right about the fact that there aren't many voters, but the poll has only been open for 2 hours now, and 10 votes in w hours is a lot. And with 85 % vs 15 % I figure it's pretty save to say that a majority uses closed-source stuff.

And actually, I used firefox, but atleast for me, the beta is unstable and uses tons of memory. The latest opera beta, looks better, runs faster, uses a lot less memory, has these handy shortcuts you can set on startup called portals, and so on and so on. Why not use it? Definitely not because I can't see the stupid 0's and 1's

And I am grateful to the GNU project for making 90 % of what linux is, however I don't like, for example, their legal campaign against binaruy-only drivers, because if they win, the nvidia drivers cease to exist, and I won't be able to play games anymore. The moment it becomes impossible to play any 3d games on linux with nvidia cards, all of the linux gamers (such as me, although i do play in wine I always buy linux games) are going to run not walk back to windows. Exit linux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    [GRAMMAR POLICE]

If I wanted to be taken seriously among my own peers, simple grammatical and punctuation errors in posts that one is adamant about should be avoided. Firefox is free and has a spell check function enabled by default so one could avoid the spelling errors.

[/GRAMMAR POLICE]
    <GRAMMAR POLICE v2.0>
    Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    It's just seems...
    </GRAMMAR POLICE v2.0>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

And I am grateful to the GNU project for making 90 % of what linux is, however I don't like, for example, their legal campaign against binaruy-only drivers, because if they win, the nvidia drivers cease to exist, and I won't be able to play games anymore. The moment it becomes impossible to play any 3d games on linux with nvidia cards, all of the linux gamers (such as me, although i do play in wine I always buy linux games) are going to run not walk back to windows. Exit linux
    Strawman. They don't want to stop you from using 3d games, they want you to stop needing proprietary garbage to do so. The reason we don't have good OSS nvidia drivers is because of binary blobs.

Are you a troll? Cause I don't think so. But that's the impression you are giving me by massing that stuff, I recommend you to stop it.

Also, I use proprietary software when needed, I still agree with most of what the FSF says and avoid that silly proprietary stuff when it is not needed. I think it is understandable to use proprietary software when it is necessary, but that's not a reason for complacency or fooling ourselves into thinking it is all right to do so. Also, if it really is not needed, why use it at all? What I really don't like is when people use proprietary stuff just for a couple of useless features, ignoring their wide list of anti-features.

I am not going to blame you or anybody for using proprietary stuff when it really is necessary, after all it is not our fault, it is the non-sense going on the IT world's fault. But I still think that such things should be avoided when possible, also research and work must be done periodically to ensure that those necessary proprietary stuff get FOSS alternatives.

Well, that's how I think anyways. I guess you are free to take your ubuntu install and ruin all the freedom other people worked so hard to give to you by installing Opera, it is a free world...
    Last edited by vexorian; May 11th, 2008 at 02:40 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenwinter View Post
    <GRAMMAR POLICE v2.0>

</GRAMMAR POLICE v2.0>
    don't be to harsh on the guy, he already finds it confusing and difficult to say gnu and linux in one sentence.

you expect him to know the differnce between spelling and grammar?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

They aren't trying to stop Nvidia/ATI supporting Linux by banning their closed source drivers, they are trying to encourage them to open source their drivers. Big difference.

I use closed source drivers and codecs in order to make my hardware work properly and be able to watch DVDs, listen to music etc. I do not have any other closed source software installed at the moment. If I needed it I would, but I always choose open source over closed source where possible.

Also, I call it Ubuntu and, more generally, Linux. I don't usually use GNU/Linux because of its awkwardness, but then I don't think it's as important as perhaps RMS thinks for people to learn about GNU and software freedom. I had no idea about all that before I started using Ubuntu, but it didn't take long to pick up it.

Anyone who thinks that caring about free software is stupid, remember that you are essentially taking and using the hard work of Stallman and co. who stood up for software freedom in the 80s, so to then insult their cause is a little...selfish?
    Last edited by Ozor Mox; May 11th, 2008 at 02:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes, of course they are trying to do that. And ATI has released 800 or so pages of documentation. Bot with linux having 0.65 % marketshare, I think nvidia will rather abandon the linux market than give up their business secrets. End result? Exactly: I won't be able to play 3d games on linux with my nvidia card.

Also, why only use it if it's absolutely necessary?

I like to play savage 1 because it's a fun game to play. I am not going to have less fun because of some ideology. I don't need it's source code. And don't tell me the security of society is damaged because I play some close-sourced game. If security is harmed at all, it would be my security, and it's my choose wether or not I think it is worth the risk.
    I don't have any sensitive data on my computer, so in my opinion, it is. The fun I have in playing it is bigger than the possible safety risk or the loss of freedom. That's a choice everyone has to make for him/herself. And that is what a license agreement is for, and that's is why it shouldn't be illegal to make closed-source software. We indeed life in a free world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12