Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] omnipotence

Beans

[SOLVED] omnipotence

how do i get the ability to do whatever i want, say, edit files in the /usr directories and such, without even needing to enter a password every time?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: omnipotence

You will need to enable the root user to do this, since by default the root user is disabled in Ubuntu (or rather, doesn't have a password assigned)...

Have a look at the following... explains how to do this:

http://www.debianadmin.com/enable-an...-password.html

Beans

This should have the information you need.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If I were, I would not change anything. Part of the Ubuntu Linux security is that you HAVE to use your password to modify certain directories. It is the directories that are password protected that contain all your architectural files and such. If there was no password you would then have no protection from malicious things. You would be back to a windows world of "Every one and every program" being able to modify your computer.
    64 bit Ultimate edition 2.8 dual boot widows 7 64 bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I would have to debate on that last comment... You have to take into consideration which system you would like to enable to Root User...

Therefore is it you machine at home... or your office Laptop...

I personally enabled the Root user on my Desktop machine at home... but not on my laptop...

However... this is just my opinion

Beans
    Distro

well it depends on whether he is the only person who touches his computer. having to enter your password to change program directories is part of the security of Ubuntu Linux. Take that away and you have stripped away another protection layer. Its also a reminder to you that you are messing with a program directory, so be careful what you do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You can use sudo -i to get a root terminal so you don't have to sudo every command. It can also be useful to create a launcher to run gksu nautilus.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ad_267 View Post
    You can use sudo -i to get a root terminal so you don't have to sudo every command. It can also be useful to create a launcher to run gksu nautilus.
    That is what I have on my computer. I created a launcher for "gksudo nautilus" After you launch that, everything that you do will be in sudo form. If you don't want to create a launcher, just Alt-F2 and type Gksudo nautilus every time. Its better to do that than take away your password protections.

Beans

well, really, all i want to do currently is to edit an icon for sauerbraten and nexuiz, which awn always shows, even though i pick another :/ but i can't edit them because they are in a /usr directory. however, i may want to access things later, too.

Beans

what you ask is not impossible, but it is unwise.
    Remember the main reasons why windows has so many issues is because it enables root access by default.
    I know entering the password all the time can be annoying, but believe me its for the better.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast