Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] omnipotence

Beans

Re: omnipotence

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    what you ask is not impossible, but it is unwise.
    Remember the main reasons why windows has so many issues is because it enables root access by default.
    I know entering the password all the time can be annoying, but believe me its for the better.
    the thing is, it doesnt even ask for a password it just said that i am not allowed to do it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zopiac View Post
    the thing is, it doesnt even ask for a password it just said that i am not allowed to do it.
    well you see if you are going to edit core files you have to do it in the terminal with sudo...
    Like I said I understand that this is annoying from a windows user perspective but its better for you in the end.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If you want to edit something like what you are trying to do, be careful. Use sudo sparingly.

hit - alt-f2
    then type - gksudo nautilus

This will open nautilus up as a super user. You edit anything, but you can also edit your computer to oblivion if you do the wrong thing. Just change the Icon that you want to change and get out of sudo nautilus.
    64 bit Ultimate edition 2.8 dual boot widows 7 64 bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

well, really, all i want to do currently is to edit an icon for sauerbraten and nexuiz, which awn always shows, even though i pick another :/ but i can't edit them because they are in a /usr directory. however, i may want to access things later, too.
    Hit alt+f2 and type

Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    You'll get a file browser with root previliges, you will be able to edit anything you open through this browser.

EDIT: beat me to it.
    My blog | Ubuntu Hardware List | Wine Application Database | Jamendo
    (Don't "sudo rm -rf" anything. See this page)
    It's all about fixing BUG #1!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

That is "working as designed." You need to use sudo or gksudo, then the system will ask for your password.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nynoah View Post
    If you want to edit something like what you are trying to do, be careful. Use sudo sparingly.

hit - alt-f2
    then type - gksudo nautilus

This will open nautilus up as a super user. You edit anything, but you can also edit your computer to oblivion if you do the wrong thing. Just change the Icon that you want to change and get out of sudo nautilus.
    thanks a ton!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

actually u could of copied the icon and or icons files to ur desktop - make sure the permissions allow u to edit the file, do ur work there and then copy them back into the directory u need.

However make a copy of those copies incase something goes wrong and u want to convert back to the original files/icons.
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12