Thread: notification bar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

notification bar

i feel really dumb right now putting a forum in the beginners because i've used ubuntu for almost 2 years, but i need to fix my notification bar so i can see my wireless network. and i think that its gone it wont even hook up automatically like it always does. can some please help. I'll be forced to use windows if i don't get help
    hp compaq pesario amd athlon ubuntu hardy
    Don't preach, mention

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: notification bar

i also tried running another notification bar but it was empty and when i ran tranmission i saw the icon.
    Don't preach, mention

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are two possible causes:

1. You've somehow removed the Notification Area from your panel.

2. The Network Manager applet is not starting up.

Fixing the first is easy - just right-click your panel and "Add to Panel..." then add the Notification Area. EDIT: You've just said that you've tried this already. Kept this part of the post to help others who might have the same problem

Fixing the second is easy too. Press Alt-F2 and type "nm-applet" and press Enter. Add the command to your Startup Items in System > Preferences > Sessions if it doesn't reappear after reboot.

On some occasions, the Network Manager applet won't appear because it can't communicate with HAL. If this happens, just run "sudo hald" and your Network Manager should work again.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; February 18th, 2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: OP added more information
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

ill try it right now
    Don't preach, mention

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

its working now. i rebooted the computer before i put up the post went down to use a windows computer and i went up to use your solutions and i just logged in. thanks for the responses anyway!!
    Don't preach, mention