Thread: VMware server and VMware Player? can some one explain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

VMware server and VMware Player? can some one explain

What are the differences?

Friend of mine using VMware converter on Windows first, and then VMware Player on Linux...

---

But here I see many people talking about VMware Server?

What is the difference?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: VMware server and VMware Player? can some one explain

I think Server is just a more fully-featured version of Player. This link somewhat supports that conclusion: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=208001
    Gateway C-140X Tablet PC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Player may have some features that Server doesn't and vice versa. The main feature of Server is you can create virtual machines with it and you can't with Player.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

VM-server allows a person to build, operate, and monitor a single machine or multiple virtual machines at one time... Of course the amount of virtual machines that one can run is limited to the hardware that the vm-server is installed on... This is where the monitoring is helpful when multiple machines are running simultanesouly... There is a brief overview...

Now player, Player is an extremely helpful program for running vitural machines that have already been created... Either by yourself or for example downloading a prebuilt machine from vmware... These are referred to as vitual appliances... which can include a wide array of applications...

hopes this helps...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

There are many differences but the main differences are that vmware server is a server. If you have a virtual machine running you can log out and quit your session and the vm is still alive and well. Vm player is only when you have an active logged in session. Once you log out the machine is killed. VM player cannot create a machine it can only play them as well.