Thread: HOWTO: GEDIT history list & line numbering

Beans

HOWTO: GEDIT history list & line numbering

TIPS & Tweaks:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gedit history / recent file number can be increased by

Applications -> System Tools -> Configuratoion Editor ->
    apps -> gedit-2 -> preferences -> ui -> recents ->
    click the right pane, either double click under the "name" or click once in the "value" box.

I have set mine to 30 just because it seems to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the screen. set according to your preference.

This should decrease your time searching for a file. Once you open Gedit, just hit "File" on the menu bar and scroll down to open.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another great option is to enable line numbering.
    apps -> gedit-2 -> preferences -> editor -> line_numbers ->
    Check (on) the right panel box.

This will ease the chore of counting lines when searching for an offending line of code.

For example, you've opened /var/log/mail.warn, mail.error and mail.log One of the error logs shows that Postfix could not start because there is an error at line 84 of the config file. You would then open the offending file and directly look at line 84.

If you work a lot with config files, like XF86Config-4, it soons becomes indispensible.
    Last edited by wallijonn; January 5th, 2005 at 04:52 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: GEDIT history list & line numbering

The line numbering tip will come in handy. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

2005 topic, but still useful! Thanks!

I wonder why even in 5 years the Recent File List size is still not editable using gEdit Preferences own GUI. At least Line Numbering is.

Mine is set to 15 now. SO much better!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by MestreLion View Post
    2005 topic, but still useful! Thanks!

I wonder why even in 5 years the Recent File List size is still not editable using gEdit Preferences own GUI. At least Line Numbering is.
    I totally agree! 5 is just a too low number, I guess the demand to change this value is quite high. Who uses only 5 files in a time period of - let's say - a week? Though this preference could be added as easy as inserting a label and a textbox in /usr/share/gedit-2/gedit-preferences-dialog.ui and do some programming to retrieve and change that setting - the rest has already been done. It would be nice to see that setting soonly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by MichiGreat View Post
    I totally agree! 5 is just a too low number,... It would be nice to see that setting soonly.
    In Ubuntu 11 you can't even change the gnome setting to increase the "recents" list size.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codeninja1 View Post
    In Ubuntu 11 you can't even change the gnome setting to increase the "recents" list size.
    You can't? Just tried the suggested solution and it didn't work - still only showing 5 in the recent list. Isn't there anything to do about this? This is a BIG annoyance! (Running Ubuntu 12.10.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

2004 topic. but still very usefull. I was searching for line numbering and came to this thread.. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by wallijonn View Post
    TIPS & Tweaks:
    Gedit history / recent file number can be increased by

Applications -> System Tools -> Configuratoion Editor ->
    apps -> gedit-2 -> preferences -> ui -> recents ->
    click the right pane, either double click under the "name" or click once in the "value" box.

I have set mine to 30 just because it seems to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the screen. set according to your preference.

This should decrease your time searching for a file. Once you open Gedit, just hit "File" on the menu bar and scroll down to open.

Another great option is to enable line numbering.
    apps -> gedit-2 -> preferences -> editor -> line_numbers ->
    Check (on) the right panel box.

This will ease the chore of counting lines when searching for an offending line of code.

For example, you've opened /var/log/mail.warn, mail.error and mail.log One of the error logs shows that Postfix could not start because there is an error at line 84 of the config file. You would then open the offending file and directly look at line 84.

If you work a lot with config files, like XF86Config-4, it soons becomes indispensible.