Page 71 of 171 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support (Hardy Heron)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=472

I followed the above guide and it fixed my flash sound /stability problems. I have firefox 3 and flash 10. I get a few crashes here and there with flash content, but overall, it's 100% better.

However.....
    My broadband internet is now dialup slow. Coincidence? The slowdown started happening right around the exact time I did these fixes!
    If it isn't one thing...

Weird.

-C
    Ubuntu... [ok]

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support (Hardy Heron)

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    I finally got around to setting up my PPA, and I have uploaded the newest release candidate of Flash 10, as well as ALSA & PulseAudio packages backported from Intrepid (with added tweaks and fixes from the guide included). I invite everyone to thoroughly test these packages!

NOTE: These instructions can be considered as a replacement for Step A, B and C of the main guide. I don't want to deal with the equalizer (Step D) in these packages, as I'm aiming towards getting things fixed in Hardy/Intrepid, rather than introducing new features.

1a. 64bit/amd64 users only: Please see the following thread and install GetLibs.

When you have GetLibs installed, install the necessary libraries as follows:
    Code:
    $ getlibs -p libnss3-1d
    $ getlibs -p libnspr4-0d
    $ getlibs -p libcurl3
    $ getlibs -p libasound2-plugins
    1b. 32bit/i386 users only: Remove the obsolete nspluginwrapper package:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get remove nspluginwrapper
    2. Remove obsolete packages and configuration files:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get remove libflashsupport
    $ sudo rm ~/.pulse/* ~/.asoundrc* /etc/asound.conf
    3. Ensure you have the necessary packages installed:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install padevchooser libao-pulse libasound2-plugins libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio
    4. Add my PPA to your sources.list:
    Code:
    $ gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    Add the following lines to the end, and save:
    Code:
    # PulseAudio Fixes - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5587712
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/psyke83/ubuntu hardy main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/psyke83/ubuntu hardy main
    5. Update your repository lists, then upgrade your system (answer yes to install packages that cannot be validated):
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get upgrade
    6. Set PulseAudio as the default ALSA device and enable the correct driver for libao applications:
    Code:
    $ asoundconf set-pulseaudio
    $ echo "default_driver=pulse" >~/.libao
    7. Go to System/Preferences/Sound. Ensure all the "Sound Playback" entries are set to their default setting of "Autodetect", otherwise you may experience difficulties.

After logging out and back in, everything should work correctly! These packages will install PulseAudio complete with tweaks to reduce stuttering/CPU usage, and Flash 10 (release candidate). Finally, Flash & PulseAudio work correctly without crashes!

Any feedback on the packages would be appreciated (it's my first attempt, so there could be issues). Thanks.

Problems?
    The original guide has important information to aid troubleshooting. Look at Appendix A for application-specific advice, and Appendix B for troubleshooting tips.

I have three requests:
    1. Don't contact me via PM for help with PulseAudio; reply in the public thread instead.
    2. Learn to use the "Search this Thread" function.
    3. Don't expect help unless you've followed the troubleshooting steps of Appendix B and given the requested debug information.

Changelog

15/08/08 - support added for 64bit users, please test!
    17/08/08 - updated instructions to ensure necessary packages are installed.
    21/09/08 - added "Problems" section.
    Great Job!! works like a charm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks you very much for your time psyke83. I am having a bit of trouble. It's really hard for me to play any sound now.
    Firefox +flash crashes and a stream does not show up in the device chooser
    Totem freezes at startup and time doesn't progress passed 0:00 and a stream does not show up in the device chooser
    madplay plays once or twice (I guess until another program screws stuff up) and a stream does not show up in the device chooser
    The only thing that always seems to work is Wine which I have setup to use ESD and a stream shows up correctly in the pulse audio device chooser.
    I ran "pulseaudio -k; sleep 4; pulseaudio -vv" and attempted to play an mp3 with totem and here is the output.
    Code:
    E: main.c: Failed to kill daemon.
    I: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
    I: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
    I: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
    I: main.c: Note that real-time/high-priority scheduling is NOT normally required. If you experience crackling or other sound anomalies, consider one or more of the above solutions.
    I: main.c: High-priority scheduling enabled in configuration but now allowed by policy. Disabling forcibly.
    W: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
    W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
    W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
    I: main.c: This is PulseAudio 0.9.10
    I: main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
    I: main.c: Fresh high-resolution timers available! Bon appetit!
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-hal-detect.so': success
    I: module-hal-detect.c: Trying capability alsa
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_alsa_timer
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_alsa_sequencer
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_4
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_3
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_2
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_1
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Loading module-alsa-sink with arguments 'device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0'
    D: alsa-util.c: Trying front:0...
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully opened device front:0.
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully enabled mmap() mode.
    ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer front:0: No such file or directory
    I: alsa-util.c: Successfully attached to mixer 'hw:0'
    I: alsa-util.c: Using mixer control "Master".
    I: sink.c: Created sink 0 "alsa_output.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: source.c: Created source 0 "alsa_output.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0.monitor" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Using 8 fragments of size 880 bytes.
    I: alsa-util.c: All 2 channels can be mapped to mixer channels. Using hardware volume control.
    D: module-alsa-sink.c: Thread starting up
    D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+29
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Starting playback.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-alsa-sink" (index: #0; argument: "device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0").
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Loading module-alsa-source with arguments 'device_id=0 source_name=alsa_input.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0'
    D: alsa-util.c: Trying front:0...
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Successfully opened device front:0.
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Successfully enabled mmap() mode.
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer front:0: No such file or directory
    I: alsa-util.c: Successfully attached to mixer 'hw:0'
    I: alsa-util.c: Using mixer control "Capture".
    I: source.c: Created source 1 "alsa_input.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Using 8 fragments of size 880 bytes.
    I: alsa-util.c: All 2 channels can be mapped to mixer channels. Using hardware volume control.
    D: module-alsa-source.c: Thread starting up
    D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+28
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-alsa-source" (index: #1; argument: "device_id=0 source_name=alsa_input.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0").
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_control__1
    I: module-hal-detect.c: Loaded 2 modules.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-hal-detect" (index: #2; argument: "").
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-esound-protocol-unix.so': success
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-esound-protocol-unix" (index: #3; argument: "").
    I: protocol-native.c: loading cookie from disk.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-native-protocol-unix" (index: #4; argument: "").
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-gconf.so': success
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-gconf" (index: #5; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-volume-restore" (index: #6; argument: "").
    D: module-default-device-restore.c: No previous default sink setting, ignoring.
    D: module-default-device-restore.c: Restored default source 'alsa_input.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0'.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-default-device-restore" (index: #7; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-rescue-streams" (index: #8; argument: "").
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_output.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0.monitor becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_input.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0 becomes idle.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-suspend-on-idle" (index: #9; argument: "").
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-x11-publish.so': success
    D: module-x11-publish.c: using already loaded auth cookie.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-x11-publish" (index: #10; argument: "").
    I: main.c: Daemon startup complete.
    D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.DBus, path=/org/freedesktop/DBus, member=NameAcquired
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_input.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0 idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Device suspended...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_output.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0.monitor idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Device suspended...
    I: client.c: Created 0 "EsounD client (UNIX socket client)"
    I: client.c: Created 1 "Native client (UNIX socket client)"
    I: protocol-native.c: Got credentials: uid=1000 gid=1000 success=1
    I: protocol-native.c: Enabled SHM for new connection
    I: client.c: Client 1 changed name from "Native client (UNIX socket client)" to "Totem Movie Player"
    I: client.c: Freed 1 "Totem Movie Player"
    I: protocol-native.c: connection died.
    I: client.c: Created 2 "Native client (UNIX socket client)"
    I: protocol-native.c: Got credentials: uid=1000 gid=1000 success=1
    I: protocol-native.c: Enabled SHM for new connection
    I: client.c: Client 2 changed name from "Native client (UNIX socket client)" to "Totem Movie Player"
    I: module-volume-restore.c: Restoring sink for <pulsecore/protocol-native.c$Totem Movie Player>
    I: module-volume-restore.c: Restoring volume for <pulsecore/protocol-native.c$Totem Movie Player>
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Trying resume...
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Resumed successfully...
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Starting playback.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 becomes busy.
    I: resampler.c: Using resampler 'speex-float-1'
    I: resampler.c: Using float32le as working format.
    I: resampler.c: Choosing speex quality setting 1.
    I: sink-input.c: Created input 0 "Playback Stream" on alsa_output.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 with sample spec s32le 2ch 11025Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
    D: memblockq.c: memblockq requested: maxlength=35200, tlength=17600, base=8, prebuf=16720, minreq=880
    D: memblockq.c: memblockq sanitized: maxlength=35200, tlength=17600, base=8, prebuf=16720, minreq=880
    E: shm.c: Invalid shared memory segment size
    W: pstream.c: Failed to import memory block.
    I: sink-input.c: Freeing output 0 "Playback Stream"
    I: client.c: Freed 2 "Totem Movie Player"
    I: protocol-native.c: connection died.
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_8086_27de_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Device suspended...
    D: protocol-esound.c: read(): EOF
    I: client.c: Freed 0 "EsounD client (UNIX socket client)"
    These two lines were highlighted in gnome-terminal:
    E: shm.c: Invalid shared memory segment size
    W: pstream.c: Failed to import memory block.

Thank you for any help you can give.
    Please consider joining TeamUbuntu!
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoldingAtHomeTeamUbuntu

Beans

Thinkpad T61, pulseaudio, skype problems (people cant hear)

Hello, first of all thanks to psyke for doing all this work trying to help us fix our Ubuntu audio.

I have been trying to fix my audio on my thinkpad t61 for a while now. Most programs now work, thank god, but I still have problems using Skype (which means that I have to reboot to Windows to use it.. urrgh).

Some details:
    • Everything works, except that people can't hear me talk
    • I have checked that I can record audio using the microphone with sound recorder
    • I have installed the packages from psyke's PPA, and followed the instructions in the related post in this thread
    • Earlier, I had tried getting things to work using the original instructions in this thread
    • I have experimented a lot with the settings in the skype settings and in the System->Administration->Sound panel (basically tried most permutations)
    • Current Skype settings are Sound in: HDA Intel (hw:Intel,0), Sound out: Pulse audio, Ringing: Pulse Audio.
    • Audio preferences are set to Pulse Audio for everything except sound capture which is set for ALSA (again I have tried them all).

Can you help me make this work? Thanks.
    Last edited by Nyoro; September 24th, 2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Put in a more clear title

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Thinkpad T61, pulseaudio, skype problems (people cant hear)

Quote Originally Posted by Nyoro View Post
    Hello, first of all thanks to psyke for doing all this work trying to help us fix our Ubuntu audio.

I have been trying to fix my audio on my thinkpad t61 for a while now. Most programs now work, thank god, but I still have problems using Skype (which means that I have to reboot to Windows to use it.. urrgh).

Some details:
    • Everything works, except that people can't hear me talk
    • I have checked that I can record audio using the microphone with sound recorder
    • I have installed the packages from psyke's PPA, and followed the instructions in the related post in this thread
    • Earlier, I had tried getting things to work using the original instructions in this thread
    • I have experimented a lot with the settings in the skype settings and in the System->Administration->Sound panel (basically tried most permutations)
    • Current Skype settings are Sound in: HDA Intel (hw:Intel,0), Sound out: Pulse audio, Ringing: Pulse Audio.
    • Audio preferences are set to Pulse Audio for everything except sound capture which is set for ALSA (again I have tried them all).

Can you help me make this work? Thanks.
    It seems your configuration is ok, so here's some tips.

1. Ensure audio preferences are set to Autodetect. If PulseAudio works correctly this is not a major issue, but it's better to leave it at this setting nevertheless.
    2. I'm not sure you're selecting the right device for Skype. Add the Skype contact "test123" to your list and perform some tests, each time using a different device for "Sound in", until you find the one that's really your microphone.
    3. Your microphone may be muted or set to a very low level. Check the levels and enable the microphone boost, if possible. Use the Gnome Volume Control applet, or modify the settings via alsamixer:
    Code:
    $ alsamixer -Dhw
    4. Disable pulseaudio and test Skype:
    Code:
    $ mv ~/.asoundrc ~/.asoundrc.disabled && pkill pulseaudio
    If Skype doesn't work correctly when PulseAudio is not running, then perhaps you're suffering from a networking issue.
    Last edited by psyke83; September 24th, 2008 at 07:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by chiefofthejojos View Post
    Thanks you very much for your time psyke83. I am having a bit of trouble. It's really hard for me to play any sound now.
    Firefox +flash crashes and a stream does not show up in the device chooser
    Totem freezes at startup and time doesn't progress passed 0:00 and a stream does not show up in the device chooser
    madplay plays once or twice (I guess until another program screws stuff up) and a stream does not show up in the device chooser
    The only thing that always seems to work is Wine which I have setup to use ESD and a stream shows up correctly in the pulse audio device chooser.
    I ran "pulseaudio -k; sleep 4; pulseaudio -vv" and attempted to play an mp3 with totem and here is the output.
    It seems that PulseAudio initializes correctly, but when a client connects it does not play correctly. I'm not sure what you should next attempt, as your issue may need escalation upstream.

If you just want to get sound working on your system, you can do the following:
    1. Disable the PA ALSA plugins:
    Code:
    $ rm ~/.asoundrc*
    2. In System/Preferences/Sound, set all Playback options to ALSA.

There are no major changes in the packages in my PPA, but you may also want to consider reverting packages to defaults.

Beans

Re: Thinkpad T61, pulseaudio, skype problems (people cant hear)

Hey Psyke, thanks for your response.

Lets see,

All audio prefs are set to autodetect, except capture which is set to ALSA.

I have already tried echo123 with all available sound in options in skype.

I checked the ALSA mixer. It looks ok. The microphone (internal mic) is set to full and so is internal mic boost. These settings work with audio recorder, so I guess they should be ok for Skype too?

I tried disabling pulseaudio like you suggested, and that worked. I could hear myself on echo123 using HDA Intel (hw:Intel,0) as input device.

After that I enabled pulseaudio again (re-renaming .asoundrc and running pulse audio). I ran pulseaudio in a console and got the following warnings. I wonder if they are relevant?

Code:
    W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
    W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I finally got around to setting up my PPA
    You have singlehandedly fixed the last qualm I had with ubuntu.. I can't express how grateful I am for you.. Not only do I have ZERO sound issues anymore but flash plays beautifully fullscreen. Point me to the donate page please!
    Do Daemons Dream of Electric Sleep() ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you just want to get sound working on your system, you can do the following:
    1. Disable the PA ALSA plugins:
    Code:
    $ rm ~/.asoundrc*
    2. In System/Preferences/Sound, set all Playback options to ALSA.
    Thanks. That was very easy to revert. I think I will just wait until ubuntu comes configured this way by default.
    Please consider joining TeamUbuntu!
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoldingAtHomeTeamUbuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,
    I have the following problems : I can hear scratches and some sort of static when using sound and sound disappears after hibernation.
    Nos I followed the guide but it seems it only made the scratching worse. Hibernation seems to be another issue but if anyone knows how to fix it I would be very grateful...
    Anyway, how can I make the scratching go away ?
    Please help I'm pulling my hair over this.

Page 71 of 171 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast