Page 54 of 171 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support (Hardy Heron)

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielsaldana View Post
    I run:
    $ pulseaudio -k && asoundconf unset-pulseaudio
    E: main.c: Failed to kill daemon.

I don't have any audio
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...06#post5595106

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Great Job!
    I was having a few sound problems after messing with PA for a while and such. This guide and packages cleared that up.

I have a new problem now, however. I am getting just a tiny bit of static on my speakers all of the time now. Any ideas why?

Daniel
    Desktop | Intel E8400 3.0GHz Core2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 2TB | Intel X-25 40gb SSD | Ubuntu 10.10
    Personal server | AMD 2.0GHz Dual Core | 1GB RAM | 160GB | Ubuntu Server 10.04
    HP Mini 311 | Atom 1.66ghz | 160gb | 1GB RAM | Ubuntu Netbook 10.10

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by someonestolemyname View Post
    Great Job!
    I was having a few sound problems after messing with PA for a while and such. This guide and packages cleared that up.

I have a new problem now, however. I am getting just a tiny bit of static on my speakers all of the time now. Any ideas why?

Daniel
    Do you hear this static when sound is actually playing, or when the system is idle? Give me some insight as to how I can reproduce it or what triggers it, if you can.

Anyway, try to kill PulseAudio:
    Code:
    $ pulseaudio -k
    Does the static disappear when PulseAudio isn't running?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    Glad to hear it's working now.
    Geez, I fired up Hardy this afternoon and, according to PulseAudio Volume Control, I'm back to no MB. Why would Hardy find my speakers last week after I followed your newest fix but not Sat? Can I stabilize a good setup once I've got it?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dansan View Post
    Geez, I fired up Hardy this afternoon and, according to PulseAudio Volume Control, I'm back to no MB. Why would Hardy find my speakers last week after I followed your newest fix but not Sat? Can I stabilize a good setup once I've got it?
    It's very likely that you're suffering from an ALSA bug. I recommend you revert the packages (I've listed instructions a few post back) and forget about my guide, and then search Launchpad. I honestly remember a bug being discussed where certain audio chipsets only seem to work a few days per week (a strange startup initialization error). Remember, you're looking for an ALSA bug, not PulseAudio.

I can't emphasise enough the warnings I put in the disclaimer of the guide - fixing PulseAudio will not fix ALSA.

Beans

Nice tutorial. I use linux mint & its configured for pulse audio. but I could not play realplayer11 & rhythmbox simultaneously. I was under the impression that this is a pulseaudio bug. After reading this tutorial, I am clear that its due to the fact that RP11 uses ALSA. Not sure why the first post does not have thankyou button

Beans

It's very likely that you're suffering from an ALSA bug. I recommend you revert the packages...
    I did as you suggested. Searching Launchpad did not turn up anything promising, so I returned to basics: SoundTroubleshooting.

Going through this yet again (I started there) showed that my onboard sound card was not loading at startup. So I removed and reinstalled all the alsa & sound-base stuff, edited /etc/modules to add the relevant alsa soundcard name, typed alsactl store 0 and rebooted. I got back onboard sound, and all else seems to work, including Pulse Audio. Given previous ups and downs, my fingers are crossed.

Added late 17 Aug: Everything still stable and working even after several reboots.
    Last edited by dansan; August 17th, 2008 at 07:31 PM.

Beans

The new 64bit guide allowed me to update the pakages.
    Bad news: I now crash more frequently but the error codes are slightly different.

this is after i restarted once. I played a movie and 5 minutes in it froze. Checked the PA Manager and it was unable to connect. This is the output from the terminal
    rklinkefus@linuxcore2:~$ pulseaudio &
    [1] 8475
    rklinkefus@linuxcore2:~$ W: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
    W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
    W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
    ALSA lib control.c:909snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:Intel
    W: protocol-native.c: Failed to push data into queue
    Soft CPU time limit exhausted, terminating.
    Hard CPU time limit exhausted, terminating forcibly.
    when i restarted pulse it stoped at at line "ALSA lib control.c:909snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:Intel"
    the rest came after the crash

Beans

This did not work for me. I've attached the log just in case you'd like to see.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support (Hardy Heron)

Changelog

15/08/08 - support added for 64bit users, please test!
    Using Hardy 8.04.1 amd64, I have recently repackaged flashplugin-nonfree 10.0.0569 (RC1) myself and fixed a bunch of issues in that. I also fixed a couple of bugs in getlibs and made packages for both available from my PPA.

I then discovered Flash 10 causing exclusive-sound issues. I found this thread and your PPA.

I added your flashplugin-nonfree Windowless mode patch to my package. I installed your pulseaudio and alsa packages.

I had to reboot the system to get them to take effect - a simple logout wasn't sufficient.

To begin with I thought it was working okay, but now I've realised that there is still a lack of sound-device sharing. If RhythmBox is playing Flash 10 can't play audio, and visa-versa.

If RhythmBox is paused Flash can use audio but then unpausing RhythmBox causes it to lock up, and more interestingly, if I go to Preferences > Sound, it won't play the test sounds. If I quit the Flash application those test sounds will work.

I'm using the Userplane webchat2 audio/video conferencing application to test against since it is pretty heavy on A/V interaction with the host.

Page 54 of 171 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast