Page 21 of 171 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support (Hardy Heron)

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    Ah my apologies, I had forgotten your previous post. In that case, what I recommend is that you follow Appendix C (to revert changes), but it's not necessary to restore any backup files. Make sure you a) delete ~/.asoundrc* and /etc/asound.conf, and b) have the "ubuntu-desktop" or "ubuntustudio-desktop" metapackages installed (just in case some packages were accidentally removed).

Then perform the following test:
    1. Ensure all the playback streams are set to "Autodetect" in System / Preferences / Sound.
    1. Close all media players, etc.
    2. Open a terminal, and kill the pulseaudio process:
    Code:
    $ pkill pulseaudio
    3. Open a media player and try to play some audio.

If that works, then your sound is functioning when using ALSA directly. I would then recommend that you try following the guide again, to hopefully fix PulseAudio for you.

Can you also provide any relevant information? For example, did you notice packages getting uninstalled that seemed suspicious? Are you on i386 or amd64?
    I tried to do Appendix C of your guide, but the last 4 or 5 instructions stated that it there is no such file or directory, etc. Here is what happened in my terminal:

geo@geo-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg -P --force-depends pulseaudio
    dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove pulseaudio which isn't installed.
    geo@geo-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree/hardy libsdl1.2debian-alsa pulseaudio
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Selected version 9.0.124.0ubuntu2 (Ubuntu:8.04/hardy) for flashplugin-nonfree
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    libsdl1.2debian-all: Conflicts: libsdl1.2debian-alsa but 1.2.13-1ubuntu1.1 is to be installed
    libsdl1.2debian-alsa: Conflicts: libsdl1.2-all
    Conflicts: libsdl1.2debian-all but 1.2.13-1ubuntu1.1 is to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    geo@geo-desktop:~$ sudo rm ~/.asoundrc* /etc/asound.conf /etc/libao.conf
    rm: cannot remove `/home/geo/.asoundrc*': No such file or directory
    rm: cannot remove `/etc/asound.conf': No such file or directory
    rm: cannot remove `/etc/libao.conf': No such file or directory
    geo@geo-desktop:~$ sudo cp ~/pulse-backup/asound.conf /etc/
    cp: cannot stat `/home/geo/pulse-backup/asound.conf': No such file or directory
    geo@geo-desktop:~$ sudo cp ~/pulse-backup/libao.conf /etc/
    cp: cannot stat `/home/geo/pulse-backup/libao.conf': No such file or directory
    geo@geo-desktop:~$ cp ~/pulse-backup/.asoundrc* ~/
    cp: cannot stat `/home/geo/pulse-backup/.asoundrc*': No such file or directory
    geo@geo-desktop:~$

I also did the kill pulseaudio in the terminal as you said, however, there is no sound. The video streams on the internet are back to normal and they play without any choppiness, but no audio.

I know you mentioned ALSA and using that...however, I was told that I needed OSS because I do not have a Sound Blaster Live card. I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi in which ALSA is KNOWN not to work.

In addition, I needed the pulse audio to get my games to work. However, the pulse audio is what caused the problem with streaming audio and that is why I came here and followed your guide.

I am hoping there is a way to fix this problem.

As of now I have installed just about everything I need to get both games and Ubuntu Studio going. And for the most part I got everything to work...except the sound. The sound is proving very much to be a nightmare and I am wondering if I should pull the X-Fi card out and put something in that that is more Linux compliant. BUT, I really would like to avoid that if I have to because as of now the X-Fi card is working beautifully with Windows and I am not yet willing to make the full conversion yet to Ubuntu...especially if I can't get the sound to work.

Is there a major issue with Pulse Audio in that it can't work with streaming audio?

I was very close to having everything working with sound, but now I am back to square one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jukingeo View Post
    I was very close to having everything working with sound, but now I am back to square one.
    I'm sorry to say this, but you're looking in the wrong thread for support. PulseAudio is not a replacement for ALSA or OSS, it works as a layer on top of them. I don't know how to install OSS v4 (which I assume is what you were told was necessary for your sound card) on Ubuntu without messing everything up, so you should look elsewhere.

By the way, you seem to have broken packages. Run:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install -f
    If it seems suspicious and wants to uninstall lots of packages, paste the output here before accepting; otherwise let it fix any missing packages.

Edit: here's a guide to install OSS v4, but it's for Ubuntu 6.10: http://4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1438
    I can't assist with OSS v4, so you should use that forum for support. I also don't know if PulseAudio will work correctly with it, so I don't recommend you follow my guide.
    Last edited by psyke83; June 17th, 2008 at 12:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I'm sorry to say this, but you're looking in the wrong thread for support. PulseAudio is not a replacement for ALSA or OSS, it works as a layer on top of them. I don't know how to install OSS v4 (which I assume is what you were told was necessary for your sound card) on Ubuntu without messing everything up, so you should look elsewhere.

By the way, you seem to have broken packages. Run:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install -f
    If it seems suspicious and wants to uninstall lots of packages, paste the output here before accepting; otherwise let it fix any missing packages.
    I looked on my system, and indeed OSS was blasted.

The first guide to get Pulse Audio working with my games worked fine. It was the second guide that you posted to correct the problem with the streaming audio (internet, YouTube) is what has caused the problem.

So what happens now?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jukingeo View Post
    I looked on my system, and indeed OSS was blasted.

So what happens now?
    I don't know how you configured your system, as Ubuntu does not use OSS by default. I have edited my reply giving a link to the OSS v4 forum guide, so check it out. Just make sure you run the command to fix broken packages!

Beans

From your post it seems that you tested Firefox immediately after applying the changes here. Did you read the warning about PulseAudio changes not taking effect until a reboot or logging out and back in?

If Firefox is crashing immediately upon startup, it would seem that there's something wrong with your system unrelated to PulseAudio. The cause of crashes for some users with the "libflashsupport" package installed (that shouldn't be installed on a user's system by default anymore) only causes Firefox to crash when closing and opening pages with flash content (e.g. when you visit Youtube, it works fine the first time, but when you click on another video link, then it can crash).

So, my advice to you is:
    1. Remove the EQ changes (Part D), so we can make sure that's not the problem (besides, you shouldn't be using those settings if your audio quality is already fine). This is the easiest way to do it:

Code:
    $ sudo dpkg --force-depends -P pulseaudio
    $ sudo apt-get install pulseaudio
    Log out and back in for changes to take effect.

2. Close *all* applications that play audio, and follow Appendix B, testing just one application at a time. Be sure to test Firefox, Opera and Konqueror separately. Just keep in mind that these applications only show an entry in the PulseAudio Volume Control when they are playing audio!

Let me know the results, and if you get the "A" result, try playing audio from more than one application at once (ensure they all show correctly in the Volume Control window).
    Sorry for my rushing. Too much rushing these days. just so much to do, and with these crashes, i've been living with it for about a 3 weeks now. I am confident it is a Pulse audio thing.

Sorry for not being specific enough. I launch it, it asks me to go to a new page or restore my old pages. I pretty much always pick restore old pages, one or more of which will inevidably have flash. Especially Gmail and Google Docs, Google stuff in general. (not the search). If I choose new page, well it will go to my home page which is presently a Google Desktop page which will have flash.

So again, I'm confident it's pulseaudio.

Based on this info, you want me to still try the same steps you outlined for me before?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bowie101 View Post
    Sorry for my rushing. Too much rushing these days. just so much to do, and with these crashes, i've been living with it for about a 3 weeks now. I am confident it is a Pulse audio thing.

Sorry for not being specific enough. I launch it, it asks me to go to a new page or restore my old pages. I pretty much always pick restore old pages, one or more of which will inevidably have flash. Especially Gmail and Google Docs, Google stuff in general. (not the search). If I choose new page, well it will go to my home page which is presently a Google Desktop page which will have flash.

So again, I'm confident it's pulseaudio.

Based on this info, you want me to still try the same steps you outlined for me before?
    Follow Part A & B, then (after logging out/in, or rebooting!) try the troubleshooting steps Appendix B and report back.

(By the way, the crashes you're experiencing with Firefox are unusual. It shouldn't crash when restoring tabs with flash content, only when closing them.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Hey guys.. was just wondering, if the stuttering fix would also work for the linux kernel 2.6.24-19-generic. I had enabled the Hardy proposed reps too. I hope it would not cause any problem. I usually notice the audio stuttering when i am using firefox and if i start scrolling the page. Seems like a buffering problem..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by XneoX View Post
    Hey guys.. was just wondering, if the stuttering fix would also work for the linux kernel 2.6.24-19-generic. I had enabled the Hardy proposed reps too. I hope it would not cause any problem. I usually notice the audio stuttering when i am using firefox and if i start scrolling the page. Seems like a buffering problem..
    The stuttering problem is complicated - I provide links to the relevant bug reports in the guide. There was a scheduler problem with Hardy's default kernel (2.6.24-16-generic) that caused skipping in PulseAudio, and it's been fixed since 2.6.24-17-generic. Unfortunately that's not the only cause of skipping, as PulseAudio's default buffering is to blame. Following Part C will most likely help reduce stuttering even more.

Beans

the apt-get install command in part A that you suggest..., well, I figured why install what I already have installed, right?

So after drinking 2 glasses of wine, I thought why not just purge the files first , right? so I run "sudo apt-get purge" instead of install, and then copy and paste the rest of the command, (actually, copy and paste the whole thing, and then just replace install with purge.)

REALLY bad idea. Sort of like a " cd / " and " sudo rm * -fr "

I watch as everything that I believe is in the proposed repository get eaten up off my computer. my terminal, my everything.

I finally quit it. tried to fix my now broken system.

couldn't do it in 30 min. so I am cutting bait , got all my config files (from the web) onto my pen drive, and will just reinstall from the CD again. Once I'm up and running again, I'll let you know..and I'm switching to ice tea and vanilla ice cream. Why is it always at midnight that these things happen? I hate computers..
    Last edited by bowie101; June 17th, 2008 at 05:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I don't know how you configured your system, as Ubuntu does not use OSS by default. I have edited my reply giving a link to the OSS v4 forum guide, so check it out. Just make sure you run the command to fix broken packages!
    I had to use OSS because the ALSA drivers for the SB X-Fi are very buggy and it is a huge headache to get the card to work with ALSA. OSS does work first shot out. However, I needed to use Pulse Audio to get many of my applications working. But a side effect of doing such rendered my streaming audio inoperable and I couldn't even watch videos on YouTube anymore. Then you came with your fix and after I did that, my video was back to normal, but my sound was blasted out.

As of now I had to uninstall Pulse Audio and OSS, and for some reason, now my machine isn't retaking OSS. So I had to go back to the OSS thread for help.

I would make a BIG fat note in your document that states that it doesn't work with OSS, otherwise those that use OSS will also have their sound knocked out.

Page 21 of 171 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast