Thread: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support

Thank you so much for this guide!

I noticed one thing:

I was tweaking my ubuntu installation and i decided that i didn't like what i was doing, so i remove ALL the config files in my home directory (everything).

Later i was listening music and i wanted to see a video from youtube: First, it said that i need a more up to date version of flash.... so i downloaded it from adobe.com. When i was able to run de video, it didn't have sound! soy i wiped out the flash-plugin-nonfree and tried again... firefox crashed .

So i read your guide again and i couldn't find what's went wrong... but i remembered this command from your guide:

asoundconf set-pulseaudio

and it did the trick! Everything was back to normal

I figured out that this command must be apply to every account int the machine... is this correct? So i tried to run the command as sudo but it warned me that i could make funny things to my sistem (really, i don't remember the message).

So the question is:

The settings that make that command (asoundconf set-pulseaudio) apply only to the active account?

If so... Is there any way to make the changes from that command system wide?

I don't want to run it every time i wipe out the config files: sometimes i feel lazy and sometimes i don't know what file i'm looking for to reset a program to its defaults.

Thanks in advance (and sorry about my english!).

Edit:
    By the way, I'm ussing 8.04
    Last edited by salvador_luna; December 29th, 2008 at 01:22 AM.

Beans

Pulseaudio correctly identifies and displays SMPlayer and VLC media player, but volume is 0.0 db at 100% and goes into minus figures for lower percentages. Output is barely audible.

The other players all have various glitches, but if I can at least get VLC and SMP to work it'll do for now...

1. Release 8.10 (intrepid) x86_64. Kernel 2.6.27-11-generic.

2. Output from $ aplay -l:
    Code:
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
      Subdevices: 0/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
      Subdevices: 1/1
    3. Output from $ pkill pulseaudio; sleep 2; pulseaudio -vv:
    Code:
    I: main.c: PolicyKit refuses acquire-high-priority privilige.
    I: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
    I: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
    I: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
    I: main.c: Note that real-time/high-priority scheduling is NOT normally required. If you experience crackling or other sound anomalies, consider one or more of the above solutions.
    I: main.c: High-priority scheduling enabled in configuration but now allowed by policy. Disabling forcibly.
    W: ltdl-bind-now.c: Failed to find original dlopen loader.
    W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
    W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
    I: main.c: This is PulseAudio 0.9.10
    I: main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
    I: main.c: Fresh high-resolution timers available! Bon appetit!
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-hal-detect.so': success
    I: module-hal-detect.c: Trying capability alsa
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_alsa_timer
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_1
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Loading module-alsa-sink with arguments 'device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0'
    D: alsa-util.c: Trying front:0...
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully opened device front:0.
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully enabled mmap() mode.
    ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer front:0: No such file or directory
    I: alsa-util.c: Successfully attached to mixer 'hw:0'
    I: alsa-util.c: Using mixer control "Master".
    I: sink.c: Created sink 0 "alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: source.c: Created source 0 "alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0.monitor" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Using 8 fragments of size 896 bytes.
    I: alsa-util.c: ALSA device lacks independant volume controls for each channel, falling back to software volume control.
    D: module-alsa-sink.c: Thread starting up
    D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+29
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Starting playback.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-alsa-sink" (index: #0; argument: "device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0").
    E: sound-file.c: Failed to open file /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav: No such file or directory
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Loading module-alsa-source with arguments 'device_id=0 source_name=alsa_input.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0'
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Successfully opened device front:0.
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Successfully enabled mmap() mode.
    I: alsa-util.c: Using mixer control "Capture".
    I: source.c: Created source 1 "alsa_input.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Using 8 fragments of size 896 bytes.
    I: alsa-util.c: All 2 channels can be mapped to mixer channels. Using hardware volume control.
    D: module-alsa-source.c: Thread starting up
    D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+28
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-alsa-source" (index: #1; argument: "device_id=0 source_name=alsa_input.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0").
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_control__1
    I: module-hal-detect.c: Loaded 2 modules.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-hal-detect" (index: #2; argument: "").
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-esound-protocol-unix.so': success
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-esound-protocol-unix" (index: #3; argument: "").
    I: protocol-native.c: loading cookie from disk.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-native-protocol-unix" (index: #4; argument: "").
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-gconf.so': success
    D: module-gconf.c: Loading module 'module-null-sink' with args 'sink_name=rtp format=s16be channels=2 rate=44100 description="RTP Multicast Sink"' due to GConf configuration.
    I: sink.c: Created sink 1 "rtp" with sample spec "s16be 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: source.c: Created source 2 "rtp.monitor" with sample spec "s16be 2ch 44100Hz"
    D: module-null-sink.c: Thread starting up
    D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+27
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-null-sink" (index: #5; argument: "sink_name=rtp format=s16be channels=2 rate=44100 description="RTP Multicast Sink"").
    D: module-gconf.c: Loading module 'module-rtp-send' with args 'source=rtp.monitor loop=1' due to GConf configuration.
    I: source-output.c: Created output 0 "RTP Monitor Stream" on rtp.monitor with sample spec s16be 2ch 44100Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
    D: memblockq.c: memblockq requested: maxlength=174080, tlength=174080, base=4, prebuf=1, minreq=0
    D: memblockq.c: memblockq sanitized: maxlength=174080, tlength=174080, base=4, prebuf=4, minreq=4
    I: module-rtp-send.c: RTP stream initialized with mtu 1280 on 224.0.0.56:46842, SSRC=0x06eda5df, payload=10, initial sequence #38903
    I: module-rtp-send.c: SDP-Data:
    I: module-rtp-send.c: v=0
    I: module-rtp-send.c: o=radix 3439540299 0 IN IP4 192.168.1.126
    I: module-rtp-send.c: s=PulseAudio RTP Stream on InfiDell
    I: module-rtp-send.c: c=IN IP4 224.0.0.56
    I: module-rtp-send.c: t=3439540299 0
    I: module-rtp-send.c: a=recvonly
    I: module-rtp-send.c: m=audio 46842 RTP/AVP 10
    I: module-rtp-send.c: a=rtpmap:10 L16/44100/2
    I: module-rtp-send.c: a=type:broadcast
    I: module-rtp-send.c: EOF
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-rtp-send" (index: #6; argument: "source=rtp.monitor loop=1").
    D: module-gconf.c: Loading module 'module-combine' with args '' due to GConf configuration.
    I: sink.c: Created sink 2 "combined" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: source.c: Created source 3 "combined.monitor" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    D: memblockq.c: memblockq requested: maxlength=174080, tlength=174080, base=4, prebuf=1, minreq=0
    D: memblockq.c: memblockq sanitized: maxlength=174080, tlength=174080, base=4, prebuf=4, minreq=4
    I: resampler.c: Using resampler 'trivial'
    I: resampler.c: Using s16le as working format.
    I: sink-input.c: Created input 0 "Simultaneous output on ALSA PCM on front:0 (STAC92xx Analog) via DMA" on alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 with sample spec s16le 2ch 44100Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
    I: module-combine.c: Master sink is now 'alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0'
    D: module-combine.c: Thread starting up
    D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+26
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-combine" (index: #7; argument: "").
    D: module-gconf.c: Loading module 'module-rtp-recv' with args '' due to GConf configuration.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-rtp-recv" (index: #8; argument: "").
    D: module-gconf.c: Loading module 'module-native-protocol-tcp' with args '' due to GConf configuration.
    I: protocol-native.c: using already loaded auth cookie.
    I: protocol-native.c: using already loaded auth cookie.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-native-protocol-tcp" (index: #9; argument: "").
    D: module-gconf.c: Loading module 'module-esound-protocol-tcp' with args '' due to GConf configuration.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-esound-protocol-tcp" (index: #10; argument: "").
    D: module-gconf.c: Loading module 'module-zeroconf-publish' with args '' due to GConf configuration.
    D: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Publishing services in Zeroconf
    D: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Successfully created entry group for radix@InfiDell: ALSA PCM on front:0 (STAC92xx Analog) via DMA.
    D: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Successfully created entry group for radix@InfiDell: RTP Multicast Sink.
    D: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Successfully created entry group for radix@InfiDell: Simultaneous output to ALSA PCM on front:0 (STA.
    D: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Successfully created entry group for radix@InfiDell: ALSA PCM on front:0 (STAC92xx Analog) via DMA.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-zeroconf-publish" (index: #11; argument: "").
    D: module-gconf.c: Loading module 'module-zeroconf-discover' with args '' due to GConf configuration.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-zeroconf-discover" (index: #12; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-gconf" (index: #13; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-volume-restore" (index: #14; argument: "").
    D: module-default-device-restore.c: Restored default sink 'alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0'.
    D: core-subscribe.c: dropped redundant event.
    D: module-default-device-restore.c: Restored default source 'alsa_input.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0'.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-default-device-restore" (index: #15; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-rescue-streams" (index: #16; argument: "").
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink rtp becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink combined becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0.monitor becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_input.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0 becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source combined.monitor becomes idle.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-suspend-on-idle" (index: #17; argument: "").
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-x11-publish.so': success
    D: module-x11-publish.c: using already loaded auth cookie.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-x11-publish" (index: #18; argument: "").
    I: main.c: Daemon startup complete.
    D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.DBus, path=/org/freedesktop/DBus, member=NameAcquired
    I: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Successfully established service radix@InfiDell: ALSA PCM on front:0 (STAC92xx Analog) via DMA.
    I: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Successfully established service radix@InfiDell: RTP Multicast Sink.
    I: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Successfully established service radix@InfiDell: Simultaneous output to ALSA PCM on front:0 (STA.
    I: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Successfully established service radix@InfiDell: ALSA PCM on front:0 (STAC92xx Analog) via DMA.
    I: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Successfully established main service.
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source combined.monitor idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_input.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0 idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Device suspended...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0.monitor idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink combined idle for too long, suspending ...
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 becomes idle.
    I: sink-input.c: Freeing output 0 "Simultaneous output on ALSA PCM on front:0 (STAC92xx Analog) via DMA"
    I: module-combine.c: No master selected, lacking suitable outputs.
    I: module-combine.c: Device suspended...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink rtp idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Device suspended...
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Trying resume...
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Resumed successfully...
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 becomes busy.
    I: resampler.c: Forcing resampler 'copy', because of fixed, identical sample rates.
    I: resampler.c: Using resampler 'copy'
    I: sink-input.c: Created input 1 "RTP Stream (PulseAudio RTP Stream on InfiDell)" on alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 with sample spec s16be 2ch 44100Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
    D: memblockq.c: memblockq requested: maxlength=174080, tlength=174080, base=4, prebuf=17641, minreq=0
    D: memblockq.c: memblockq sanitized: maxlength=174080, tlength=174080, base=4, prebuf=17644, minreq=4
    I: module-rtp-recv.c: New session 'PulseAudio RTP Stream on InfiDell'
    D: module-rtp-recv.c: Checking for dead streams ...
    D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device, path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_power_supply_battery_BAT0, member=PropertyModified
    D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device, path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_power_supply_battery_BAT0, member=PropertyModified
    ^CI: main.c: Got signal SIGINT.
    I: main.c: Exiting.
    I: main.c: Daemon shutdown initiated.
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-alsa-sink" (index: #0).
    I: module-combine.c: Unconfiguring sink: alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0
    D: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Successfully created entry group for radix@InfiDell: Simultaneous output to ALSA PCM on front:0 (STA.
    D: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Removing entry group for radix@InfiDell: ALSA PCM on front:0 (STAC92xx Analog) via DMA.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink rtp becomes busy.
    W: module-rtp-recv.c: Detected RTP packet loop!
    D: sink-input.c: Successfully moved sink input 1 from alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 to rtp.
    I: module-rescue-streams.c: Sucessfully moved sink input 1 "RTP Stream (PulseAudio RTP Stream on InfiDell)" to rtp.
    D: module-rescue-streams.c: No source outputs to move away.
    D: module-alsa-sink.c: Thread shutting down
    I: sink.c: Freeing sink 0 "alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0"
    I: source.c: Freeing source 0 "alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0.monitor"
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-alsa-sink" (index: #0).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-alsa-source" (index: #1).
    D: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Removing entry group for radix@InfiDell: ALSA PCM on front:0 (STAC92xx Analog) via DMA.
    D: module-alsa-source.c: Thread shutting down
    I: source.c: Freeing source 1 "alsa_input.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0"
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-alsa-source" (index: #1).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-hal-detect" (index: #2).
    D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.DBus.Local, path=/org/freedesktop/DBus/Local, member=Disconnected
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-hal-detect" (index: #2).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-esound-protocol-unix" (index: #3).
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-esound-protocol-unix" (index: #3).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-native-protocol-unix" (index: #4).
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-native-protocol-unix" (index: #4).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-null-sink" (index: #5).
    D: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Removing entry group for radix@InfiDell: RTP Multicast Sink.
    I: resampler.c: Forcing resampler 'copy', because of fixed, identical sample rates.
    I: module-combine.c: Resumed successfully...
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink combined becomes busy.
    D: sink-input.c: Successfully moved sink input 1 from rtp to combined.
    I: module-rescue-streams.c: Sucessfully moved sink input 1 "RTP Stream (PulseAudio RTP Stream on InfiDell)" to combined.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source combined.monitor becomes busy.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source rtp.monitor becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source rtp.monitor becomes idle.
    D: source-output.c: Successfully moved source output 0 from rtp.monitor to combined.monitor.
    I: module-rescue-streams.c: Sucessfully moved source output 0 "RTP Monitor Stream" to combined.monitor.
    D: module-null-sink.c: Thread shutting down
    I: sink.c: Freeing sink 1 "rtp"
    I: source.c: Freeing source 2 "rtp.monitor"
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-null-sink" (index: #5).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-rtp-send" (index: #6).
    I: source-output.c: Freeing output 0 "RTP Monitor Stream"
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-rtp-send" (index: #6).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-combine" (index: #7).
    D: module-zeroconf-publish.c: Removing entry group for radix@InfiDell: Simultaneous output to ALSA PCM on front:0 (STA.
    I: module-rescue-streams.c: No evacuation sink found.
    I: module-rtp-recv.c: Freeing session 'PulseAudio RTP Stream on InfiDell'
    I: sink-input.c: Freeing output 1 "RTP Stream (PulseAudio RTP Stream on InfiDell)"
    D: module-combine.c: Thread shutting down
    I: sink.c: Freeing sink 2 "combined"
    I: source.c: Freeing source 3 "combined.monitor"
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-combine" (index: #7).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-rtp-recv" (index: #8).
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-rtp-recv" (index: #8).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-native-protocol-tcp" (index: #9).
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-native-protocol-tcp" (index: #9).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-esound-protocol-tcp" (index: #10).
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-esound-protocol-tcp" (index: #10).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-zeroconf-publish" (index: #11).
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-zeroconf-publish" (index: #11).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-zeroconf-discover" (index: #12).
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-zeroconf-discover" (index: #12).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-gconf" (index: #13).
    D: module-gconf.c: Unloading module #12
    D: module-gconf.c: Unloading module #9
    D: module-gconf.c: Unloading module #10
    D: module-gconf.c: Unloading module #11
    D: module-gconf.c: Unloading module #8
    D: module-gconf.c: Unloading module #7
    D: module-gconf.c: Unloading module #5
    D: module-gconf.c: Unloading module #6
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-gconf" (index: #13).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-volume-restore" (index: #14).
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-volume-restore" (index: #14).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-default-device-restore" (index: #15).
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-default-device-restore" (index: #15).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-rescue-streams" (index: #16).
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-rescue-streams" (index: #16).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-suspend-on-idle" (index: #17).
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-suspend-on-idle" (index: #17).
    I: module.c: Unloading "module-x11-publish" (index: #18).
    I: module.c: Unloaded "module-x11-publish" (index: #18).
    I: main.c: Daemon terminated.
    Rightly or wrongly, I killed it there as it didn't seem to be coming up with anything new.

At the moment I am cursing the day Lennart Poettinger was put on this planet (and the day Ubuntu decided to make PulseAudio the default).

I'd be so grateful for any help...!

Thanks.
    Last edited by TheMacFactor; December 29th, 2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to subscribe to thread

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

rod40cool, Thanks for posting this; I'm sure it will help others out there. I had a problems with my audiophile 2496 until I did something similar.

I made the changes like you note, but also had to change the default sink section of the file (last few lines of default.pa) like noted in this report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...42/comments/21

Remember to change the card identifier for your card..
    I now actually like pulseaudio.

Geoff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rod40cool View Post
    Hey anyone out there having difficulty trying to get Pulseaudio working with a hardware playback device that uses ICE1712 (as displayed when you run the command "aplay -l", there is a bug I have found which seems to affect all cards using this chipset. (etx.)
    Cheers
    Hi. Thanks for your post trying to help. Are there any steps you've left out, because I followed it exactly, substituting "M44" where necessary, rebooted, and still get no sound whatsoever. I also have an NVidia onboard soundcard. There has never been any sound on this system - it's a new computer and only the M-Audio card is an old one from another setup I had. Can't get any sound at all since installing Intrepid.

Is it worth trying to get rid of PulseAudio entirely and try to get ALSA working instead? I know nothing about these things - just trying to get my system working and don't want to stuff things up. Should I undo the changes to that file you said to alter, as it seems to have done no good?

Cheers,
    Kath.
    Ubuntu 12.04, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 3.4 GB RAM, 160 + 500 GB HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I hope I can find a solution soon, because I'm thinking of moving away from Ubuntu. I've LOVED Ubuntu since first getting Linux 18 months ago, but this is so very disappointing, I'm thinking of trying another distro that is able to give me sound on my setup.

I know that a lot of people are very frustrated with this PulseAudio thing.

Cheers,
    Kath.
    Ubuntu 12.04, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 3.4 GB RAM, 160 + 500 GB HD.

Beans

Thanks so much. Fixed the problem at a stroke!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    1. Delete ~/.pulse/volume-restore.table and restart PulseAudio.
    2. Are you sure that's a PulseAudio problem? You may need to change a kernel option for the ALSA driver, or else you chose the wrong output device.

If you enabled the equalizer, you must change the default sound device in a different way. You shouldn't edit /etc/pulse/default.pa (the line still say "device=equalized"); instead, edit ~/.asoundrc and amend the text I marked in blue in the guide, and determine the proper device in the same way I mentioned in my earlier post.
    Still no go...
    What kernel option would I change to work this out?

I just rebooted my computer and now there's no sound at all.. I already got used to firefox not having any sound but this is a problem, I tried running the alsamixer and this is what I got

Code:
    ~$ alsamixer -Dhw
    ALSA lib conf.c:1589:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:37:0:Unexpected end of file
    ALSA lib conf.c:2850:(snd_config_hook_load) /home/nir/.asoundrc may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
    ALSA lib conf.c:2714:(snd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load returned error: Invalid argument
    ALSA lib conf.c:3079:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for hw: Invalid argument

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Where is the system-wide equalizer? I have not been able to find it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I installed 8.10 this morning and sound stopped working.

I tried to fix my sound problem using the thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578.

I used Appendix A (Troubleshooting) and found that the application (gxine) does not play audio and does list an entry in the Playback tab.

The appendix suggests that this problem is cause either by a bug or by PCM Master Volume being muted.

When I check the Master Volume on Pulse Audio it is muted, but I cannot get it unmuted.

Can anybody please help?

Thanks,
    Phil Smith
    Duluth, GA

Results from aplay -l and pkill pulseaudio; sleep 2; pulseaudio -vv are listed below.

Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64

aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK804]
    card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK804 - IEC958]
    card 1: default [USB Audio CODEC ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

philipsmith@philipsmith-desktop:~$ pkill pulseaudio; sleep 2; pulseaudio -vv
    I: main.c: PolicyKit refuses acquire-high-priority privilige.
    I: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
    I: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
    I: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
    I: main.c: Note that real-time/high-priority scheduling is NOT normally required. If you experience crackling or other sound anomalies, consider one or more of the above solutions.
    I: main.c: High-priority scheduling enabled in configuration but now allowed by policy. Disabling forcibly.
    W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
    W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-hal-detect.so': success
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_alsa_timer
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_alsa_sequencer
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_2
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_1
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Loading module-alsa-sink with arguments 'device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_als a_playback_0'
    W: alsa-util.c: Device front:0 doesn't support 44100 Hz, changed to 48000 Hz.
    ALSA lib control.c:909snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0
    I: sink.c: Created sink 0 "alsa_output.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_alsa_playbac k_0" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 48000Hz"
    I: source.c: Created source 0 "alsa_output.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_alsa_playbac k_0.monitor" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 48000Hz"
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Using 8 fragments of size 1764 bytes.
    I: alsa-util.c: All 2 channels can be mapped to mixer channels. Using hardware volume control.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-alsa-sink" (index: #0; argument: "device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_als a_playback_0").
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Loading module-alsa-source with arguments 'device_id=0 source_name=alsa_input.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_al sa_capture_0'
    W: alsa-util.c: Device front:0 doesn't support 44100 Hz, changed to 48000 Hz.
    ALSA lib control.c:909snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0
    I: source.c: Created source 1 "alsa_input.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_ 0" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 48000Hz"
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Using 8 fragments of size 1764 bytes.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-alsa-source" (index: #1; argument: "device_id=0 source_name=alsa_input.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_al sa_capture_0").
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_alsa_control__1
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Loading module-alsa-sink with arguments 'device_id=1 sink_name=alsa_output.usb_device_8bb_2902_noserial _if0_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0'
    D: alsa-util.c: Trying front:1...
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully opened device front:1.
    ALSA lib control.c:909snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:1
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer front:1: No such file or directory
    I: alsa-util.c: Successfully attached to mixer 'hw:1'
    I: alsa-util.c: Cannot find mixer control "Master".
    I: alsa-util.c: Using mixer control "PCM".
    I: sink.c: Created sink 1 "alsa_output.usb_device_8bb_2902_noserial_if0_soun d_card_0_alsa_playback_0" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: source.c: Created source 2 "alsa_output.usb_device_8bb_2902_noserial_if0_soun d_card_0_alsa_playback_0.monitor" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Using 8 fragments of size 1764 bytes.
    D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+27
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-alsa-sink" (index: #2; argument: "device_id=1 sink_name=alsa_output.usb_device_8bb_2902_noserial _if0_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0").
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Loading module-alsa-source with arguments 'device_id=1 source_name=alsa_input.usb_device_8bb_2902_noseria l_if0_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0'
    D: alsa-util.c: Trying front:1...
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Successfully opened device front:1.
    ALSA lib control.c:909snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:1
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer front:1: No such file or directory
    I: alsa-util.c: Successfully attached to mixer 'hw:1'
    I: alsa-util.c: Cannot find mixer control "Capture".
    W: alsa-util.c: Cannot find fallback mixer control "Mic".
    I: source.c: Created source 3 "alsa_input.usb_device_8bb_2902_noserial_if0_sound _card_0_alsa_capture_0" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Using 8 fragments of size 1764 bytes.
    D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+26
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-alsa-source" (index: #3; argument: "device_id=1 source_name=alsa_input.usb_device_8bb_2902_noseria l_if0_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0").
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_8bb_2902_noserial_if0_sound_card_0_alsa _control__1
    I: module-hal-detect.c: Loaded 4 modules.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-hal-detect" (index: #4; argument: "").
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-esound-protocol-unix.so': success
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-esound-protocol-unix" (index: #5; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-native-protocol-unix" (index: #6; argument: "").
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-gconf.so': success
    D: module-gconf.c: Loading module 'module-zeroconf-discover' with args '' due to GConf configuration.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-zeroconf-discover" (index: #7; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-gconf" (index: #8; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-volume-restore" (index: #9; argument: "").
    D: module-default-device-restore.c: Restored default sink 'alsa_output.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_alsa_playbac k_0'.
    D: module-default-device-restore.c: Restored default source 'alsa_input.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_ 0'.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-default-device-restore" (index: #10; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-rescue-streams" (index: #11; argument: "").
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_alsa_playback _0 becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.usb_device_8bb_2902_noserial_if0_sound _card_0_alsa_playback_0 becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_output.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_alsa_playback _0.monitor becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_input.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0 becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_output.usb_device_8bb_2902_noserial_if0_sound _card_0_alsa_playback_0.monitor becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_input.usb_device_8bb_2902_noserial_if0_sound_ card_0_alsa_capture_0 becomes idle.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-suspend-on-idle" (index: #12; argument: "").
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-x11-publish.so': success
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-x11-publish" (index: #13; argument: "").
    D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.DBus, path=/org/freedesktop/DBus, member=NameAcquired
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_input.usb_device_8bb_2902_noserial_if0_sound_ card_0_alsa_capture_0 idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_output.usb_device_8bb_2902_noserial_if0_sound _card_0_alsa_playback_0.monitor idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_input.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0 idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_output.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_alsa_playback _0.monitor idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.usb_device_8bb_2902_noserial_if0_sound _card_0_alsa_playback_0 idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_10de_59_sound_card_0_alsa_playback _0 idle for too long, suspending ...

Beans

Hello, when i installed ubuntu the sound worked, but today it stopped, i have tried almost everything and still cant get any sound at all. Any help will be appreciated.
    1. Distribution: Intrepid Ibex 8.10
    2.card 0: V8235 [VIA 8235], device 0: VIA 8235 [VIA 8235]
    Subdevices: 4/4
    Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
    Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
    Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
    card 0: V8235 [VIA 8235], device 1: VIA 8235 [VIA 8235]

3. The verbose output from pulseaudio:
    I: core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
    W: main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_control__1
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Loading module-alsa-source with arguments 'device_id=0 source_name=alsa_input.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_ alsa_capture_0'
    I: source.c: Created source 0 "alsa_input.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_captur e_0" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Using 8 fragments of size 1760 bytes.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-alsa-source" (index: #0; argument: "device_id=0 source_name=alsa_input.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_ alsa_capture_0").
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Loading module-alsa-sink with arguments 'device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_a lsa_playback_0'
    I: sink.c: Created sink 0 "alsa_output.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_playb ack_0" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: source.c: Created source 1 "alsa_output.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_playb ack_0.monitor" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Using 8 fragments of size 1760 bytes.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-alsa-sink" (index: #1; argument: "device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_a lsa_playback_0").
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_1
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_1
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_alsa_sequencer
    I: module-hal-detect.c: Loaded 2 modules.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-hal-detect" (index: #2; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-esound-protocol-unix" (index: #3; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-native-protocol-unix" (index: #4; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-gconf" (index: #5; argument: "").
    I: module-volume-restore.c: starting with empty ruleset.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-volume-restore" (index: #6; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-default-device-restore" (index: #7; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-rescue-streams" (index: #8; argument: "").
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_playba ck_0 becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_input.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_capture _0 becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_output.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_playba ck_0.monitor becomes idle.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-suspend-on-idle" (index: #9; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-x11-publish" (index: #10; argument: "").
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_output.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_playba ck_0.monitor idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_input.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_capture _0 idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_playba ck_0 idle for too long, suspending ...

Page 100 of 171 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast