Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove windows virus thru linux

Beans

Remove windows virus thru linux

So i got a bit of a virus problem in my windows. Its to the point where when i move anything it gets all flashy, and it wont let me install antivirus there. I was going to try and scan the windows partition thru ubuntu. Any reccomendations on how?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Remove windows virus thru linux

I'm not sure about that, but when you have bad trojan problems that won't let ya install or run antivirus software (like AVG), that's when I used to use Avast! It's free and will work and run even when others can't. Try it and see... and don't forget to do your scanning in safe mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

im using clamAV which will detect windows viruses. What I would do is mount my windows partition in linux and then scan it with clamAV. It should take care of any virus you have there. avast should work as well for this as the above poster mentioned.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

While those suggestions may work, I hate to say it but with that many problems you probably just want to reinstall. I'd certainly never want to do any internet banking or anything on there ever again, you never know whats got left behind.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tamoneya View Post
    im using clamAV which will detect windows viruses. What I would do is mount my windows partition in linux and then scan it with clamAV. It should take care of any virus you have there. avast should work as well for this as the above poster mentioned.
    I was under the impression clam only detects viruses, not remove them

Beans

install Ubuntu, then AVG for Linux, then mount and scan the windoze drive.

CD
    Administrator of various cast-off debris, most of it running either Ubuntu or Debian

Beans

its seems like you could install malwarebyte's anti-malware with wine and then scan your windows drive, malwarebyte's has saved me from many viruses
    whoa... this thread is pretty old. well i guess if you still haven't fixed it then i hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

IMHO the only surefire way to remove malware from your machine is to format your affected partitions and reinstall.

If you don't want to do that I suggest scanning with a bootable CD from avira. You can update the definitions then scan. it will give you the locations of all detected malware. Download it here and then create the bootable disk.

You can then remove all files listed.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by thedrizz View Post
    So i got a bit of a virus problem in my windows. Its to the point where when i move anything it gets all flashy, and it wont let me install antivirus there. I was going to try and scan the windows partition thru ubuntu. Any reccomendations on how?
    My experience with both commercial and free AV varies. But really, I would prefer just to backup the necessary files, do a scan on these backups (being aware that all AV's are prone to false positives), then reformat the drive and reinstall windows. That is the best, easiest, and fastest ways to clean a system.

Viruses sometimes mess with the registry and a lot of other things in windows. Most AV's are able to fix most of these changes by default, but some do get left out, and after a while, your system gets so slow and unresponsive because of these changes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Having cleaned many virus off of computers, here's my $0.02.

I typically run a rescue disk first (like Kaspersky). Rescue disks are Linux distributions built specifically for virus removal.

http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/...ds/RescueDisk/
    http://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/
    http://acs.pandasoftware.com/soporte...safedisk32.zip
    When computers fail, God is still there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast