Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to fix, please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: How to fix, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Uinluan View Post
    It would appear that your system may have crashed. I would recommend booting from your leopard install disk and trying to repair permissions to that drive and then boot from it to see if it comes up.
    Didn't work... still having the same problem... however, now that I have an Install Disk I can provide any logs necessary to hopefully resolve this.

Any further suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

OK. Just a long-shot, but have you tried zapping PRAM and maybe even clearing the NVRAM? Also, if you boot from the Ubuntu CD will it boot normally?
    meh...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by neorou View Post
    OK. Just a long-shot, but have you tried zapping PRAM and maybe even clearing the NVRAM? Also, if you boot from the Ubuntu CD will it boot normally?
    Yep, I've cleared PRAM and NVRAM, and Ubuntu LiveCD (8.04) will boot without issue.

As a result of booting into Ubuntu I found what could be an unusual boot configuration while checking things out with Gparted:

/dev/sda1 fat32 Size=200MB Used=18MB Unused=181MB boot
    /dev/sda2 HFS+ Size=105.88MB Used=24.91GB Unused=80.97GB
    Unallocated 128MB
    /dev/sda3 fat32 Size=5.6GB Used=11.63MB Unused=5.58GB msftres
    Does anything look unusual to you about this?

Journalling is enabled and I don't know how to disable this - so it's not allowing me to write to the HDD.
    Last edited by Officer Dibble; May 17th, 2008 at 04:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Dibble View Post
    Does anything look unusual to you about this?
    No

If repairing the volume didn't work then I think you are going to have to take more drastic measures... like copying the kernel off your OSX DVD or restoring a backup or reinstalling.

See the "Advanced alternative" portion of this page for getting a new copy of the kernel:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106805

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

If I wanted to reinstall Leopard with a view to dual booting with Ubuntu, would I be better completely wiping the drive, or would the installation disk do this for me?

You guys are really helpful, thanks for your advice in anticipation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Dibble,
    If you have a Leopard DVD, I would definitely start with a complete zeroing of an HD using the Leopard DVD's disk utility. Then I would use disk utility to make my partitions first. I would also put the OS X HFS+ partition first - perhaps the Mach kernel looks for it in the partition serially as it boots after something goes wrong, and if the kernel encounters a non HFS+ partition (like the FAT32 that you had), it may not know what to do - thus the kernel panic.

I would use iREFit to manage the boot selection (http://refit.sourceforge.net/) along with Boot Camp.
    Before installing iREFit or UBUNTU, I would definitely run all the Mac updates.

If after all of this you are still having errors, I would locate the hardware test cd for you mac and run it just to see if there are any hardware issues. Make sure you do the extended test. You may want to do this anyway to rule out any potential hardware issues. The cd is not perfect, but as a long time mac user, I would rather have it than not.

Best of luck.
    meh...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by neorou View Post
    I would also put the OS X HFS+ partition first - perhaps the Mach kernel looks for it in the partition serially as it boots after something goes wrong, and if the kernel encounters a non HFS+ partition (like the FAT32 that you had), it may not know what to do - thus the kernel panic.
    The 200MB FAT32 partition is his EFI partition, leave it alone if you're keeping OS X, it is supposed to be there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by blurg View Post
    The 200MB FAT32 partition is his EFI partition, leave it alone if you're keeping OS X, it is supposed to be there.
    yes and you should be able to reinstall into the existing OSX partition without a problem though it may disable rEFIt untill you reinstall it.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

If your gonna reinstall OS X, I would partition from the get-go.

Create your partitons with the OS X Disk Utility during installation, and go from there.
    Macbook Pro C2D
    Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You guys are megastars, many thanks to you all. =D>

I'm going to work my way through this again now - will let you know how I get on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12